This online training workshop (20 minutes) will help you develop a consistent plan for dealing with behavior issues in your ministry. You can download the session notes or watch the video with others from your ministry team.
Workshop Notes: Developing a Discipline Plan for Your Children’s Ministry
Misconceptions about Discipline
- Discipline = mean, harsh, strict
- Kids don’t like rules.
- We can’t discipline at church.
- If we discipline kids won’t like us.
Why discipline is necessary:
- Four basics of a plan . . .Because we love the kids (Hebrews 12:6)
- We want kids to learn.
- We want kids to be safe.
- We want volunteers to stay.
- Our purpose is to disciple.
- Consistent throughout the ministry.
Step 1: Determine the Rules
- Just 3-4
- Keep them more general than specific.
- Make them memorable.
- Post them everywhere
Step 2: Determine Consequences
- Define when parents will be involved and by who
Step 3: Communicating the plan
- To volunteers
- To parents
- To kids
Step 4: Stick with it
- Cultures don’t change overnight
- Kids will test limits.
- Consistency and love win.
Group Discussion (comment on this page)
- Leave a comment below describing your ministry’s discipline policy.
More Resources (further reading)
The following free articles will help you dig deeper into this topic.
- Visit Jenny Funderburke’s blog
- How to handle discipline problems in your ministry
- More discipline tips for your kids ministry