Roots are critical to the growth and health of plants…they nourish plants and help them to grow. Roots and plants also help us as Christians to remember that our strength comes from the love of Jesus. Scripture tells us that we are to be rooted in Christ’s love, clinging to Him for strength and identity, and taking comfort in what He has done and continues to do for us. These crafts use real “plant-like” examples to recall how we are firmly planted and rooted in the blessed love of Christ Jesus. A “connection pot” uses a decorative plant pot as a base for ways to stay connected to the Lord. A “root painting” utilizes multisensory materials to create a memorable decoration.
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (Main Text: Ephesians 3:14-21)
- Being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. -Ephesians 3:17-19
- Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. -Ephesians 3:20-21
- Rooted in Christ…growing in His love!
- How can I be planted in God’s love?
- Jesus helps us know and grow in God’s love!
More Teaching Ideas:
- Watch the video demonstration of this children’s sermon and related Bible craft ideas
- Compare our another Ephesians 3 Sunday School lesson
- Compare the children’s sermon on Ephesians 3:14-21 from Sermons 4 Kids
Craft One: “Painted Roots” decoration
You will need:
- Construction paper or card stock
- Paints (simple, acryclic)
- Plants and roots
- Markers or crayons
- Glue or tape
- Other decorations (jewels, stickers, etc.)
- Dip the roots of plants into paint of various colors. Use the plants as “paintbrushes” to decorate cardstock or construction paper.
- Add some real plants or roots, taping them to the paper above the paint. If desired, add painted or drawn plants, instead.
- Add a verse and/or caption to describe the “planted” art work.
- If desired, attach a pipe cleaner or string to the top to hang it on display.
Craft Two: “Planted in Jesus Pail”
You will need:
- Small pots or cups
- Pipe cleaners or popsicle sticks
- Construction paper/cardstock
- Glue or tape
1. Decorate the outside of the pot, pail, or cup with stickers, jewels, or captions.
2. Cut flower shapes out of paper or cardstock.
3. On the flowers, write ways to stay connected to Christ. Attach pipe cleaners or popsicle sticks for “stems.”
4. Place the “flowers” inside the pail or pot, and find a fun visible spot to place it as a decoration!
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.