We recognize that life is full of challenges, and that we are not always capable of doing what we would like to do. The blessed message of this passage is that God’s strength shines through when we are weak! Highlighting 2 Corinthians 12, wherein Paul describes his struggle with an unrelieved challenge, these crafts remind children that our weaknesses can help us rely on God all the more. A cross wrapped in soft yarn or fabric illustrates how simple or soft things can be made firm and strong in Christ. A barbell-shaped craft considers how God holds us up and strenghtens us, even when we struggle.
More Teaching Ideas:
- Watch the video demonstration of this children’s sermon and related craft ideas
- Download the complete Sunday School Lesson from 2 Corinthians 12:2-10
Verses or Captions to Consider… (Main Text: 2 Corinthians 12:2-10)
- But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. -2 Corinthians 12:9
- 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. -2 Corinthians 12:10
- On my own I am weak…through CHRIST I can do all things!
- I am weak but HE is strong.
- I can be strong by…. (Prayer, Scripture, Faith)
Craft one: “Soft Made Strong” Cross
You will need:
- Cross (or popsicle stick cross)
- Yarn or string
- Markers or crayons
- Other decorations (jewels, stickers, etc.)
- Create a verse and caption to attach to the final product.
- Make a cross out of popsicle sticks or have a prepared cross.
- Carefully wind soft string, yarn, or ribbon around the cross, covering it as much as you prefer, to create something that is firm, even though made from weak and flimsy materials.
- Hang your cross and caption to remember that Jesus makes us strong!
Craft Two: “How He Makes Me Strong Barbell”
You will need:
- Paper towel tube
- Aluminum foil
- String or ribbon (optional)
- Glue or tape
- Construction paper/cardstock
1. Cover the paper towel tube in aluminum foil (optional to create metal effect).
2. Cut out donut-like circles (with a hole in the center) out of cardstock or paper plates.
3. Write verse references or captions and add the “weight plates” to the tube by sliding them onto the ends of each side.
4. Use string to attach additional captions with suggestions of how we can grow stronger in the Lord and in our faith.
5. Attach extra decorations if desired, and remember that we are strong because of Christ!
Bible Verses on God’s Strength
“I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13 NIV is a powerful strength Bible verse from the Holy Scriptures.
Psalms 23:4 KJV will strengthen your faith, “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”