Fear Not…Protected by God! Craft Ideas Inspired by Psalms
Use these activity ideas when teaching about God’s protection in your Sunday School or Kids Church Ministry. God is our refuge and strength, protector and provider. It is important for children to rest on the sure and certain promises that He is in control and mighty to save. There are a lot of scary things in life, but the Lord wants us to rest in Him and not fear. These crafts aim to provide students with comforting reminders of God’s protection. A “Protected Pop-up Puppet Picture” provides a visual of hiding in the rock of God’s power. A “Comfort bag” offers words and verses to fall back on when kids need reassurance.
More Children’s Ministry Activities about God’s Protection
- Watch the video of this God’s Protection Object lesson and craft activities demonstration
- Compare another Umbrella Object Lesson about God’s Protection
- See the God’s protection children’s sermon connected to this scripture passage
- See our full God’s Protection Sunday School Lesson for Kids
- Compare our full Armor of God’s Protection Sunday School Lesson
Craft one: “Protected Pop-up Picture”
You will need:
- Markers and crayons
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Stickers and decorations
- Glue or tape
- Popsicle sticks
- Decorate a small piece of paper to look like a person, adding extra detail for clothing or facial features, if desired. Glue to popsicle stick.
- Decorate a piece of paper or cardstock with verses or captions.
- Cut a slit in the paper so that the popsicle stick puppet can slide in and out to be “hidden” and reappear.
- Add rocks or rock pictures around the puppet. Alternately, place a bird “wing” image or “fortress” representation.
- Place a hanger (string, pipe cleaner, magnet) if you wish to hang the picture (if not too heavy) in a prominent place.
Craft Two: “Seek God Comfort Bag”
You will need:
- Construction paper, paper plates, or card stock
- Decorations (stickers, etc.)
- Paper bags or gift bags
- Additional “comfort” items (feathers, pom pom balls, cross, etc.)
- Decorate bag to serve as a reminder of comforting assurances.
- Add verses and phrases to paper cut-outs, decorating as desired.
- Place papers inside bag. Add extra comfort items such as soft feathers, cotton balls, stickers, or even soft socks.
- Loosely tie bag for extra decorative element. Use as a special reminder of God’s power and presence.
Bible Verses or Craft Activity Captions to Consider… (Psalm 27 and 63)
The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid? -Psalm 27:1
For he will hide me in his shelter
in the day of trouble;
he will conceal me under the cover of his tent;
he will lift me high upon a rock. -Psalm 27:5
For you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.
8 My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me. -Psalm 63:7-8
He sets my feet on the ROCK…trust in God!
Standing firm and hiding in Him. Hope in the Lord!
Find comfort in God’s strength…take heart!