When I first wrote about Baby Dedication Service, I didn’t anticipate the interest it would generate. It seems like many parents and pastors are looking for solid information about conduction a baby dedication service.
This post brings together all the information I have found helpful concerning dedicating children to the Lord. I have linked sources where available. If you know of other resources – please leave a comment so I can keep this list up to date.
Definition of Baby Dedication Service
- I recommend this article on the baby dedication service from Bible.org
Responsibilities Involved in Baby Dedication Service
- Many Christian churches practice Baby Dedication instead of infant baptism. You can explore the practice of Baby Dedication, what it means, and the responsibilities involved in Baby Dedication at About.com.
Parent-Child and Baby Dedication Resources
These four free resources are compliments of Let’s Worship Magazine. For more children’s articles and ministry helps visit LifeWay Kids.
- Read a recent discussion post about baby dedication from our blog.
- A Model Baby Dedication Bruce Gust shares a simple one-page model baby dedication using a question and response format. It features two questions addressed parents and two questions addressed to the congregation.
- A New Idea for a Baby Dedication Pastor Frank Lewis describes the creative way he did a baby dedication service and shares the letter he presents to parents to give to their child on their 12th birthday.
- A Prayer of Dedication by Matt Tullos. This baby dedication prayer can be read by a leader or be done as a responsive reading.
- A Service for Baby Dedication by Robert Wagoner. This is an traditional order of worship as well as a model “Dedication of Parents and Children to the Lord”
More Baby Dedication Resources
- How to create a “Cradle Care” Ministry from The Inclusive Church
- Baby Dedication – What Does Your Church Do? This is a discussion post about church practices of baby dedication.
- Baby Dedication by Dr. Neil Chadwick A short order of service that includes a scriptural meditation on parenting.
- Baby Dedication: The renewal of a godly tradition. This is an article that explains the scriptural support for baby dedication. Written by a Christian Missionary Alliance Church.
Poem For Baby Dedication
- THE GIFT OF A CHILD — M.S. Lowdnes
Baby Dedication at Southeast Christian Church
Southeast Christian Church is one of the largest churches in America. They are located in Louisville, KY. They are know for their commitment to the Word of God and their excellent children’s ministries. Here is the instructions for baby dedication from their website.
Baby Dedication is…
- An opportunity to thank God for the precious gift of your child.
- An opportunity to publicly declare your intentions to raise your child in a Christian home.
- A benchmark you can return to time and time again.
- A family dedication, where the parents commit themselves to abide by biblical principles and to raise their children according to God’s standards.
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.