Fun Craft Idea for Children
Here is a craft idea that we just tried for our Wednesday night children’s ministry program. To complete our new children’s church decorations, we used the children’s painted hand prints as leaves to complete the tree mural. The project was not too complicated, but it took real coordination on the part of our adult volunteers to pull it off. Here is how we made it work. You can also Print Friendly this craft instructions.
Here is a video that walks you through the craft. This children’s hand painting project may not be the easiest craft idea, but it will last much longer and be a life long memory. Have fun!
- non-toxic acrylic paint
- paper plates
- sheets of plain paper
- large bowl with water for rinsing
- paper towels and/or wet wipes
- drop clothes
- tree mural or outline on the wall
- masking tape & permanent markers
- 4 or more adult helpers
Directions for this Craft
We had all the children play on the playground, and only brought them inside to paint by groups of four.
Write each child’s name on masking tape. You will use this to label the hand prints once they are dry.
With the help of an adult volunteer, have each child dip their hands in the paint. Then impress their print on a paper. This is good practice and helps remove excess paint. Plus you can send home those papers as an bonus painted hand craft project.
Then guide the child to press their print on the wall. It’s important to not add more paint before this step.
Rub hands together in a large bowl of water to rinse. Then use paper towels to dry and remove any extra paint.
Follow this procedure for each child until finished.
- Change the rinse water after about 10 kids.
- Use think or ‘fancy’ paper to add value to the first print.
- Have several colors available to add variety.
- Use this craft along with a lesson about abiding in Jesus.
- This craft promotes belonging and will help kids feel like the church is a place for them.
Share Your Ideas
If you try this kids hand painting craft or have done something similar, leave a comment to share your ideas with other readers.