The Parable of the Sower can be slightly challenging to look at when working with very young children, as far as metaphor explanation goes. However, it is a fun one when it comes to crafts. As with many planting and growth analogies, there are plenty of engaging ways to make items that lend themselves to the story. Here are a few suggestions for crafts that relate to gardening and remind us to let God’s Word produce spiritual “blossoms” in our lives.
Bible Verses or Captions to Consider…
23 As for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it. He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty.” -Matthew 13:23
As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience. -Luke 8:15
A heart of good soil…ready to receive God’s Word!
God plants seeds in our hearts…let’s allow them to grow!
Flowering in the love of God
Blooming in faith, and growing spiritual fruit
More Parable of the Sower Teaching Ideas
- See all our resources on the Parable of Jesus
- See the video example of this craft and our playlist on the Parable of the Sower
- Browse our Parable of the Sower Sunday School lesson
Craft one: “Paper Flower Garden”
You will need:
- Tissue paper, coffee filters, and/or cupcake liners
- Markers, stickers, or other decorating materials
- Glue, tape or staples
- Popsicle sticks or pipe cleaners
- Cup or pot for display
- Use markers to decorate coffee filters and/or cupcake liners with color. If time and resources allow, consider lightly misting the coffee filters to allow the colors to soak through (if using this method, let the filter dry completely).
- Fold tissue paper using an “accordion-style” back and forth fold. Carefully arch the paper to create a circular “flower” shape.
- Add pom-poms, pipe cleaners, or additional decorations as desired.
- Use pipe cleaners or popsicle sticks for “stems” to attach the flowers onto something sturdy. Display in a cup or pot as desired.
Craft Two: “Plant Pot”
You will need:
- Small pot or cup
- Small seeds (or lima beans)
- Extra decorations (stickers, etc.)
- Caption or verse
- Markers (Sharpies recommended)
- Select the vessel for your plant: use a small pot or cup.
- Using permanent markers, write and/or draw on the pot or cup.
- Add extra decorations as desired, such as stickers or puffy paint (if feeling adventurous).
- Place a small amount of soil in the bottom of the cup or pot.
- Place a bean or seeds into the soil. Add more soil on top.
- Give the plant a small amount of water. Place a dish or plate underneath it, to catch the excess soil and water. Place in sunshine and enjoy!
More Parable of the Sower Craft Possibilities:
- “Seed art”: Decorate construction paper or card stock with a plant-themed illustration. Drizzle glue (or spread with a glue stick) around selected parts of the picture, and sprinkle various seeds over it.
- “Bird feed seed”: Feed the birds! Spread peanut butter or frosting on a pinecone or corn cob, and dust with bird seed. Attach a string or pipe cleaner to hang.
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.