Use these easy craft ideas for your kids to celebrate the 4th of the July. These projects are focused on the theme “Freedom in Christ.” Download the craft directions below, watch our example video, and gather your supplies.
Fourth of July, Happy Birthday America, Independence Day…there are a lot of names the holiday goes by, but on July 4th, Americans celebrate freedom with all kinds of creative measures. We want to make sure to also emphasize that we have freedom in our lives as Christians. These crafts celebrate the patriotic spirit of the red, white, and blue, while hopefully recalling the joy of living in freedom from sin through Jesus. Have fun!
Verses or Captions to Consider…
For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. -Galatians 5:1
Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. -1 Peter 2:16
But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. -Romans 6:22-23
Celebrate Freedom! Alive in Christ!
Independent from sin and saved by faith!
Proud of a country…but citizenship in Heaven!
More Teaching Ideas about Freedom in Christ
- 4th of July Sunday School Lesson
- Coloring Pages for the Fourth of July
- See our video playlist with this 4th of July ideas for Children’s Ministry
- See all our Independence Day teaching materials
Craft one: “Freedom Firecracker”
You will need:
- Paper towel or toilet paper tubes
- Markers, stickers, or other decorating materials
- Glue, tape or staples
- String or pipe cleaners
- Streamers or tissue
- Glitter, stickers, optional decoration
- Cupcake liners
- Decorate the tube with stickers, markers, or glitter.
- Attach the pipe cleaners to the tube with staples or tape; make “fireworks” by taping decorative cupcake liners.
- Place streamers in the bottom of the tube for a rocket effect.
- Add extra decorations or verses as desired. Wave, toss, or hang up for a festive Fourth of July celebration!
Craft Two: “Stars and Stripes Headband”
You will need:
- Glitter (optional)
- Construction paper or fabric (red, preferably)
- Glue, staples, or tape
- Extra decorations (stickers, etc.)
- Caption or verse
- Markers or crayons
1. Cut strips out of the construction paper.
2. Staple or glue the strips together, fitting to desired head circumference.
3. Add extra decorations as desired, such as stickers or glitter.
4. Attach pipe cleaners, “swirling” around a pencil if desired.
5. Attach cut paper stars to the pipe cleaners.
6. Add a verse or caption; wear and enjoy!
Craft Three: “Patriotic Lantern”
You will need:
- Construction paper or fabric
- Glue, tape, or staples
- Markers, crayons, or colored pencils
- Extra decorations (stickers, glitter, etc.)
- String, pipe cleaner, or ribbon
1. Choose a construction paper color (red or blue recommended).
2. Fold the paper in half (lengthwise), and cut slits to within an inch of the border.
3. Decorate with markers, stickers, and glitter, as desired.
4. Fold the paper around, bending to create a “lantern” effect, and stapling to secure.
5. Attach ribbon or pipe cleaner if desired, for hanging display.
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.