Download and print our 100% free activities for the 4th of July in Sunday School. God has blessed America! Let’s teach kids to respect their freedom and give thanks to God on the 4th of July.
The Fourth of July is a major holiday in the United States. It’s officially called Independence Day and is a celebration about our freedom as a nation. The Fourth ties in themes of patriotism, loyalty, thankfulness, and the belief that freedom is a gift from God.
Don’t miss the 6-page patriotic printable Bundle, free from the Sunday School Store.
Fourth of July Sunday School Lessons
- Jesus Gives Freedom from Sin (John 8:32) This lesson plan shows how obedience and faith in Christ can overcome the power of sinful habits in our lives. No-hassle lesson format makes this one easy to teach with very little preparation or supplies. Ideal for Sunday School or Children’s Church.
- Freedom from Sin through Jesus – Use this children’s sermon object lesson to teach about Freedom from Sin. It’s perfect for the 4th of July or any other patriotic holiday.
- “Get Free” Object Lesson from (Acts 16) – Using a house key for the object talk, Mimi teaches how God saved Paul & Silas from jail. Then their witness to Christ helped the jailer get free from sin and follow Jesus also.
- Freedom in Christ Children’s Sermon (John 8) This shorter lesson has a strong evangelistic emphasis. You could combine it with other resources listed below to build a custom lesson plan for the 4th of July.
- Christian Flag Object Lesson (Galatians 5:1) will illustrate how we can have freedom through the Gospel.
- Citizens of Heaven Children’s Sermon Object Lesson
- Freedom Isn’t Free from Sermons 4 Kids website
Patriotic Coloring Pages: God Bless America
Bible Object Lesson for Independence Day
4th of July Crafts for Sunday School
- Freedom in Christ Craft Ideas – Use these easy craft ideas for your kids to celebrate the 4th of the July. These projects are focused on the theme “Freedom in Christ.”
- We’ve posted a “Pray for Your Leaders” coloring pages helps enforce the main Christian duty under any government is to seek God’s blessing for their fellow citizens.
- We also created a new “God Bless America” coloring sheet. This one featured a diverse group of children’s faces and images of both city & town. We expect to post some new 4th of July coloring pages each summer.
- Christian Flag Craft + Snack for Sunday School
- Watch this Sunday School craft for the 4th of July from Cullen’s ABCs
- Danielle’s place has several fourth of July craft ideas
“Thank You Card” Project for Kids to Bless Veterans and Public Servants
Use this printable and have children write messages or simply sign their names. Make several copies to bless the heroes in your congregation.
More Freedom and Independence Themed Ideas
- Devotional Christian has posted a list of Bible verses about freedom. Use these to add a scriptural message to any of the crafts above.
- Use the Wordless Book to teach kids about freedom from sin through Jesus Christ.
- Teach the Pledge to the Christian and American Flag
- See our playlist for the 4th of July and Independence Day for kids.
You could modify our lesson on Thankfulness to highlight the blessings of living in a strong, secure, and free nation like America. We also have a lesson on the Passover that deals with themes of national freedom. I know those are long shots, but someone might find them useful.
How To Make Emphasize God, Not Just Country
One danger of doing patriotic crafts in church is losing focus on God. Be sure to explain that our country is a gift from God. Not all believers live in a secure and free nation like America. At the same time, America is a nation for all people even those who do not know Jesus. Offer prayers to God giving thanks and also pray for other nations who do not enjoy freedom. Don’t let the kids mistake patriotism for piety.
More Teaching Ideas from Churches
I asked readers to give me their best 4th of July Ideas and here is how they responded.
Sherry Maycock: If its about independence and freedom you could relate it to how we have our freedom from sin and eternal life because of Jesus death on the cross.Does that help at all?Regards Australia.C.R.C.
Lin Pearson: Tony, you are right “I never want to teach kids that patriotism = piety.” Thinking about patriotism, it can so easily descend into triumphalism, what we in the UK call jingoism ( a belligerent attitude), into empire building and a “we are the best in the world”, forgetting that every blessing our lands have is a gift from God, by his grace.
I agree with Sherry that the 4th is a day to remember real freedom and the One who bought it for us at such a cost.
Kerry Tastinger: You could also talk about Moses and the exodus.
Sherry Maycock MAYBE YOU COULD TEACH THEM ABOUT HOW THEY WERE RESCUED BY THERE INDEPENDENCE THE SAME AS GOD Rescued us. Games teach them about rescuing by using the blow up rings you float in swimming,having one pretending to be in the water and the other throwing the ring over them to rescue.Hope that this is of some assistance.Sorry about the typing its very late here 12:12am at night.Regards Australia C.R.C.
Resources Independence Day / Fourth of July
- Children’s Sermon: Freedom from Sin through Jesus (Matthew 11:28-30)Use this children’s sermon object lesson to teach about Freedom from Sin. It’s perfect for the 4th of July or any other patriotic holiday. Download the message notes below and watch our example object lesson as you prepare. Message notesDownload https://youtu.be/ONpAd0KXGmQ “Happy Independence Day” Children’s Sermon on Freedom from Sin through Jesus Christ Main Objective: In the United States, freedom ...
- “Freedom in Christ” Craft Ideas for Independence DayUse these easy craft ideas for your kids to celebrate the 4th of the July. These projects are focused on the theme “Freedom in Christ.” Download the craft directions below, watch our example video, and gather your supplies. Crafts-4th-of-JulyDownload https://youtu.be/cUJ2tvgd35c Fourth of July, Happy Birthday America, Independence Day…there are a lot of names the holiday goes by, ...
- “Independence Day” Freedom Bible Lesson for KidsEasy Print PDF –Download Use the link above to download the complete lesson plan including craft idea. Don’t miss the 6-page patriotic printable Bundle, free from the Sunday School Store. We get pretty excited about our national pride, especially when it comes to holidays like the Fourth of July. We celebrate our independence and freedom as a ...
- Citizens of Heaven (Luke 10:1-11; 16-20) Children's Sermon for July 4thEasy Print PDF –Download Children’s Sermon on Luke 10:1-11; 16-20. Being and Making Citizens of Heaven – Everyone is proud of their nation and it’s birthday, this lesson reminds kids they are also citizens of Heaven because they follow Jesus. This object lesson message is perfect for teaching on the Fourth of July weekend or any ...
- 4th Commandment Coloring Page "Keep the Sabbath Holy"This PDF coloring sheet is part of the Ten Commandments Coloring Book for kids. It’s part of our large selection of free resources that teach the 10 commandments for kids. 4th Commandment Coloring (PDF)Download Fourth Commandment Coloring Page – You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy – Click above for PDF download. For ...
- 4th of July Sunday School Lessons (100% Free) Activities, Crafts, & Coloring PagesDownload and print our 100% free activities for the 4th of July in Sunday School. God has blessed America! Let’s teach kids to respect their freedom and give thanks to God on the 4th of July. The Fourth of July is a major holiday in the United States. It’s officially called Independence Day and is a celebration about our freedom ...
- "Christian Flag" Snack & Craft Idea for July 4thThis is a simple snack & craft combination we are using in our Kindergarten Sunday School class. It’s part of our 4th of July lesson plan that is focused on the freedom that Jesus gives us from sin. Supplies: graham crackers, white frosting, blue & red gel decorative icing Christian Flag Craft & Snack Directions Spread a thin ...
- Ideas for a 4th of July Party at Kids ChurchHere’s another 4th of July idea for your children’s ministry or Sunday School. School is over but now you’ve got to contend with family vacations and lower church attendance in your ministry. There’s nothing wrong with taking a break but you do need to keep the excitement level up during the summer months. Hosting a 4th of July ...
- “God Bless America” Coloring PageThese coloring pages are a great teaching tool for the 4th of July. Scroll down to print them as single sheets. They are included in the 6-page patriotic printable Bundle, free from the Sunday School Store. This free coloring page for kids has the words “God bless America” written large across the sheet. It has includes ...
- VBS Pledges: Bible, American, & Christian FlagHere are the traditional pledges for Vacation Bible School. No matter what 2020 VBS Theme you choose, these will help you kick start your day the right way. This download link above includes four pages: one for each individual pledge (Bible, Christian Flag, American Flag) and the combined version pictures below. Easy Print ...