This printable lesson plan is designed to teach preschool aged children about the story of Easter. It could be used in any setting with children age 2-5 at church, including a preschool Sunday School class or a preschool children’s church class. As always, consider your own ministry context and modify it as needed.
Bible Story: The Story of Easter Sunday
Scripture: Matthew 28
Target Age Group: 2 – 5 year olds
Learning Context: Children’s Church, Preschool Sunday School
Target Time Frame: 30 minutes
Printer Friendly Bible Lesson: [print_link] this lesson plan
You Can Help: Please share your feedback and suggestions to improve this kids Bible lesson. Click here to respond
Learning Objectives: After this lesson, the children will demonstrate an understanding of the story by remembering the main parts of the story.
- Playdough, blocks
- Resurrection Eggs, Resurrection Eggs Story Booklet (PDF download)
- 1 paper plate per child, black crayons, brown crayons, 1 picture of an angel per child, ½ sheet brown construction paper per child, stapler, scissors, glue, masking tape, marker
- 1 Easter Bingo Card per child, jelly beans (or something to mark the boards with), basket
Worship: You can print off these “Easter Songs” to use to lead the children to sing before the Bible lesson.
Teaching Plan: Easter Sunday
Welcome Activity: Welcome activities are things to have out for the children to do as they are arriving for class. These activities will get them engaged as soon as they arrive and will help the transition from their parents.
Have playdough and blocks available for the children to build a “tomb” with. Have the children build a “tomb” (maybe something that looks like a bridge) with blocks and then roll up a “stone” of playdough. The children can pretend to roll the stone away from the tomb.
Worship: Easter Songs
Bible Lesson Introduction
Have the children talk about what they do for Easter Sunday. Ask them if they know what Easter is really about.
“We will be doing the Bible story a little different today. We are going to be using Resurrection Eggs and you are all going to help me tell the story of Easter.”
Give each child a resurrection egg. Make sure that they keep it closed until it is their turn. If you have more than 12 children, either partner them up or get another package of resurrection eggs.
Read through the Resurrection Eggs Story Book with the children. As you get to each page, have the child holding the corresponding egg open it up and show the class what’s inside.
Bible Lesson Craft / Activity
Activity: The Angel Rolled Away the Stone
Have the paper plates cut before class.
- Cut the paper plates in half
- Cut a “doorway” out of one half of all of the plates
- Have the children color the half of the paper plate with the “doorway” brown
- Have the children color the other half of the paper plate black
- As the children are coloring, walk around and make sure that each child’s name gets written on both pieces of their tomb
- Staple the two pieces together making sure that the black can be seen through the “doorway”
- Have the children glue the angel inside of the door
- Have the children crumple up the brown construction paper
- Tape the construction paper “stone” to the outside of the tomb
- As the children are finishing their project, talk with them about what they are making and about the story they just learned about Easter
Activity: Bible Verse Memorization
“He is not here; he has risen, just as he said.” Matthew 28:6
He: point to heaven
Is not here: shake head “No”
He: point to heaven
Has risen: raise hands and arms up to heaven
Just as He said: shake head “Yes”
Matthew 28: hold up ten fingers 2x and then 8 fingers
6: hold up 6 fingers
Do this a few times with the children. Make it fun for them to do the motions and say the words. Involving them in active learning is essential for memorization at this age.
Activity: Easter Bingo
Give each child an Easter Bingo Board and some jelly beans.
Cut up one bingo card for you to use as pieces to call from.
Put the Easter Bingo Cards in the basket.
The “He Has Risen!” spot is a free spot for all of the children.
Choose 1 Easter Bingo Card, say what it is and show the picture
- Have the children find it on their cards
- As they are finding the item – talk about what the item it and what it has to do with Easter
- Stone – there was a stone blocking the door of Jesus’ tomb
- Angel – the angel rolled the stone away
- Cross – Jesus died on the cross for us
- 3 days – Jesus rose again after 3 days
- Crown of thorns – Jesus wore a crown of thorns on His head
- Bread – Jesus had the Last Supper with His disciples
- Nails – they nailed Jesus to the cross
- Resurrection – He lives in heaven!
All of their cards are the same…so they will all win at the same time!
Evaluation: Have the children remember the main parts of the story.