For the month of December, I have created a Bible Reading Calendar for the children in my class. I really want to get them into the habit of reading their Bible, and what better way than to have them reading the Christmas story? As you can see in the calendar, the children will be reading only a few verses each day. I did this so that it wasn’t too overwhelming for the children. Also, if they miss a day, it won’t be that hard to make it up. The point is to get them in their Bibles and read the Christmas story for themselves.
- Click here to download (color version pictured above)
- Click here for a plain background version (may be easier to print)
I have made the calendar without a year, so that it can be used for years to come. The dates are listed on the calendar so that the children can know what to read on each day. As you can see in the list below, the events that happened before Jesus’ birth, as well as His birth, are listed before Christmas day. They have Christmas day off from reading in order to celebrate with their families, but then the reading continues through the rest of the month with some of the events that happened after his birth.
So print out this calendar, copy it onto some red or green paper, and encourage your class to read the story of Jesus’ birth, straight from their own Bibles!!
Here are the verses that are on the calendar:
- Luke 1:26-38 – Jesus’ Birth Foretold
- Luke 1:39-45 – Mary Visits Elizabeth
- Luke 1:46-56 – The Magnificat (Mary rejoices)
- Luke 2:1-20 – Jesus’ Birth in Bethlehem
- Christmas Day!!
- Luke 2:21-38 – Jesus Presented at the Temple
- Matthew 2:1-12 – Visit of the Wise Men
- Matthew 2:13-15 – The Flight to Egypt
For more Christmas ideas, don’t miss these other free resources on our website: