Painted Cross Craft Project for Kids

Click the preview to download this printable template

Here is a craft project we used in our children’s ministry. The idea was to protect a portion of paper with masking tape as the children painted around it. Once dry, we removed the masking tape to reveal the shape of a cross. The page includes this verse from Hebrews 7:25.

He is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

I did have some problems with the tape tearing away. The moisture from the paint would bleed under the tape even though the color was contained. This weakens the paper and makes it tear slightly when you remove the tape. The best solution was to keep the edges of the paint away from the masking tape. Leave me a comment if you find a better solution.

Update: Most readers have said sticking the masking tape to your shirt first will remove some of the stickiness and prevent the problem of paper pulling away.

Watch the video below for full directions. You can click the preview to download this template as a print friendly PDF file. I’ve also uploaded one without the Bible verse so you can add your own. Or you can download this as a jpeg image.

or watch this painted cross craft idea on YouTube.

Comments

1. Nikki says

Hi! Great idea, super cute, easy, and fun! Just a thought – I used regular masking time (stuck on my shirt a few times first, like you recommended), but left little tabs on one end. Then I removed the tape immediately using the little tabs. Didn’t stick, didn’t bleed, and the kids ca take them home all finished right away (if parents don’t mind damp paintings in their cars, that is!)

I like the crayons idea, but paint is just way more fun. :)

2. Tammy says

I used painters tape and it worked fabulous! The paper did not peel at all, thanks for the craft idea, the kids loved it!

3. Melony says

Love that tutorial thank you! I had an idea also for people afraid to use paint, using crayons could be an excellent substitution. :)

4. Jane Crosby says

my name is Jane I teach 4 & 5 year old Sunday school I like the simple crafts you show do you have any simple crafts about John the Baptist and/or baptism of Jesus?

5. jennifer says

You can use repositionable glue usually available on a tape runner for the paper. Comes away easily. Try spraying the paint or dye around the template before lifting off.

6. jessica says

What about painter’s tape with the same procedure of first sticking it to your shirt to remove a bit of the stickiness? I will try it, but not until we are closer to Lent ;)

7. Emma Raven says

How about glue to make the cross leave to dry and paint over

8. KARAN says

ALSO YOU CAN PLACE CLEAR NAIL POLISH OVER WORDING AND AT EDGES OF CROSS IMAGE LET DRY THEN PLACE TAPE.

ANOTHER IDEA IS TO TAKE A BIRTHDAY CANDLE AND GO OVER WORDING AND AROUND THE TAPE EDGES THIS WILL PREVENT PAINT FROM SEEPING INTO TAP AND WORDING

9. Sonja says

There is a kind of paper called water color paper. This is the best choice when using masking tape.

10. Brenda says

We are using pastels and blending them. It gives a nice soft look and does not compromise the paper. Also no dry time.

11. Stormy Baucom says

I used card stock, blue painters tape and acrylic paints. It worked great!

12. Danielle says

I also used Painters tape and it worked wonderful. We used Bingo Dotters for the painting part and that worked great (Less messy and dried really quick).

13. Sarah says

I did this on palm Sunday and it went great! I used painters tape and had the kids paint with palm leaves. They took the papers home that day so I had them wipe off the extra paint with cotton balls so they would dry faster. Turned out AWESOME! Thanks for the idea!

14. amanda s says

Using painters tape will help eliminate the stickiness. Also using water color paint as opposed to tempra paint will dry quickly and usually will not bleed under masking or painters tape.

15. Vickie Laney says

I think if you used a stencil brush or just cut a regular brush to make the bristles short and stiff then when you get close to the masking tape or cross area use this brush and make sure it is not real wet with paint and then pounce it up and down around the cross area, this would also give it an unique look and it wouldn’t leak under the tape. Hope it works!

16. Angela Guptill says

Use green painter’s tape. We use in on all of our stuff that we need for Jr. church. Great on walls or floor when playing games etc. and crafts :-D

17. Daniel says

Painter’s tape might be a good alternative to masking tape.

18. Carrie Mills says

I have found that blue painters tape works excellent! It does not tear the paper and it helps with preventing the paint from going under the tape!

Trackbacks

Your voice matters -- Share your ideas with other readers.