Painted Cross Craft Project for Kids

Click the preview to download this printable template

Here is a craft project we used in our children’s ministry. The idea was to protect a portion of paper with masking tape as the children painted around it. Once dry, we removed the masking tape to reveal the shape of a cross. The page includes this verse from Hebrews 7:25.

He is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

I did have some problems with the tape tearing away. The moisture from the paint would bleed under the tape even though the color was contained. This weakens the paper and makes it tear slightly when you remove the tape. The best solution was to keep the edges of the paint away from the masking tape. Leave me a comment if you find a better solution.

Update: Most readers have said sticking the masking tape to your shirt first will remove some of the stickiness and prevent the problem of paper pulling away.

Watch the video below for full directions. You can click the preview to download this template as a print friendly PDF file. I’ve also uploaded one without the Bible verse so you can add your own. Or you can download this as a jpeg image.

or watch this painted cross craft idea on YouTube.

Comments

1. Sonja says

There is a kind of paper called water color paper. This is the best choice when using masking tape.

2. Brenda says

We are using pastels and blending them. It gives a nice soft look and does not compromise the paper. Also no dry time.

3. Danielle says

I also used Painters tape and it worked wonderful. We used Bingo Dotters for the painting part and that worked great (Less messy and dried really quick).

4. Sarah says

I did this on palm Sunday and it went great! I used painters tape and had the kids paint with palm leaves. They took the papers home that day so I had them wipe off the extra paint with cotton balls so they would dry faster. Turned out AWESOME! Thanks for the idea!

5. amanda s says

Using painters tape will help eliminate the stickiness. Also using water color paint as opposed to tempra paint will dry quickly and usually will not bleed under masking or painters tape.

6. Vickie Laney says

I think if you used a stencil brush or just cut a regular brush to make the bristles short and stiff then when you get close to the masking tape or cross area use this brush and make sure it is not real wet with paint and then pounce it up and down around the cross area, this would also give it an unique look and it wouldn’t leak under the tape. Hope it works!

7. Angela Guptill says

Use green painter’s tape. We use in on all of our stuff that we need for Jr. church. Great on walls or floor when playing games etc. and crafts :-D

8. Carrie Mills says

I have found that blue painters tape works excellent! It does not tear the paper and it helps with preventing the paint from going under the tape!

9. Karen C. says

Try using something other than paper. We used acetate and clear plastic. We purchased the clear plastic at a Wal Mart Fabric department. It created a “stained glass” look. Most of our kids hung them in a window. Great craft. Thank you.
    Karen

10. Mrs. D says

To keep the element of “surprise” for the children that the cross appears while they are painting I used a white crayon to color the cross in – not tape. The wax of the crayon will allow the paint to bead off and you do not have to risk ruining the page by tearing off the tape. Hope this idea works for you!

11. Miss Ruth says

I just found your craft idea for the Cross. I’m going to try painters tape. If it works on walls, why not paper? I’ll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks

12. Faith says

I’m going to give this a try with painters tape instead of masking tape, also cardstock instead of regular paper.