Lesson for Children about Prayer

Prayer:  Talking to God with Your Hands

This children’s message was originally written for a Christian School chapel of 1st – 6th graders.  It teaches the basic elements of prayer and encourages children to establish prayer as a habit in their own lives.  What I’ve written below would be a 15-20 minute presentation, but you can extract the main points for a children’s sermon on Sunday morning. You could also add some additional content for a children’s church lesson.

We’ve also posted some prayer coloring pages for kids. That might be a good activity to add to this Bible lesson.

(Ask the following questions):

• Does anyone here like to talk on the phone?
  • Do any of you talk on the computer with emails, IM, or Skype?
  • Who do you like to talk to and what about?
  • How many of you have cell phones?
  • How many of your parents have cell phones?  Do they get upset if they lose their phones?

Talking with people is important to us!  We make sure that we can call others whenever we want.  We also make sure people can reach us wherever we are.

So if talking to people is easy and we do it all the time, why is it so hard to spend time talking with God?

(Invite responses such as:  We get busy.  We don’t see Him all the time so we forget.  We don’t know how.  We might question whether God is really listening.  We might think our problems are too small.)

Why is it important to talk with God?

1. God wants us to know Him.
  2. God really does answer prayer.
  3. God loves us through prayer.
  4. We love God through prayer.

Today we’re going to learn how to pray.  Remember that it’s as simple as talking to someone you love.  (Write out the word TALK as an acrostic on a whiteboard/chalkboard.)

T:  TAKE the TIME: (Have children point to a pretend watch on their wrist.)
Find time in your day to talk to God.  Pray at the same time each day.  Make it a habit, like brushing your teeth.  Ya’ll brush your teeth, right?

A:  AHHHHHH…. Quiet: (Have children take a deep breath with you.)
Find a quiet place in your home.  Turn the TV off, your music off, and find a way to escape from your little brother.  Sit under a table, go in your closet if it’s big enough, make a fort, whatever!

L:  LEARN from God’s Word. (Have children place hands palm side up as if holding a Bible.)
Read one verse a day.  If you’re up for the challenge, read one chapter a day.  Try to understand what God is saying to you.  Ask a grown-up who knows Jesus for help if you need it.

K:  KEEP a Prayer Plan. (Have children pretend like they are writing.)
Write down how to pray.  Pray that way.  Write down praises, prayer requests, and verses that mean a lot to you.  Keep it simple or else you won’t keep doing it.

(Repeat each component at least once, if not twice to ensure retention.)

Do any of you like to talk with your hands? (Mimic people who talk with their hands:  chefs, airline stewardesses, tour guides, photographers, pastors, etc.)

Today our hands are going to help us learn how to pray.  As long as your hands go home with you today (please tell me they will!) you should remember our lesson.  You’ve got five fingers and we’ve got five parts of prayer.  You ready?

1.  PRAISE: Praise is saying what you love about someone.  It’s saying, “God, I love that you are good.  I love how you made the ocean.  I love that you sent Jesus for our sins.”  (As you list each example, number them with your fingers and invite the children to do the same.)

2. CONFESS: Confession is a big word for spit up.  It means to get the junk out of your life.  It’s when you ask for forgiveness of your sins.  It’s saying, “I’m sorry that I lied.  Forgive me for getting in a fight with my brother.  I’m sorry for not loving you like I should.”  (As you list each, use your hands to mimic throwing up.)

3. READ: Reading God’s word helps us see ourselves as in a mirror.  It helps us understand who God is and who we are.  It helps us to pray because we know who we’re praying to.  (Mimic turning pages or holding up a mirror.)

4. ASK: God says in Matthew 21:22 that, “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”  Pray for others.  Pray for yourself.  Ask for people to be saved, for God to provide, for wisdom to understand, for help in temptation, for people to be healed.  (Invite children to fold their hands as in prayer.)

5. THANKS: God has done so much for us.  What can you be thankful for today?  (Invite children to list items.  Lead the children in a lively worship song of praise/thanksgiving such as “He has made me glad.”  Have them clap their hands in thanks.)

(Review each of the parts of the Prayer Plan with the hand motions to cue the students’ memory.  Review a second time with only the bolded words.  Have students demonstrate the hand motions for each.  Close the lesson in prayer.  Follow the prayer plan, keeping it brief to hold students’ attention.)

Comments

1. Shelly says

What a better way to start my first Bible study class in a new church for 7-10 year olds than with prayer. ”
    I plan to extend this lesson by having kids every Sunday or every church service come with me before the service begins and practicing praying with their hands. They will become a powerful group of kids for Jesus. Thank you for providing this resource.

2. Enelida says

On of the best lessons I have encounter in my life.. love it love it love it great lesson you are gifted Glory to the Lord I am using it today !!!

3. lia says

I love this site! After visiting allot of sites for ideas and lessons, I have found that I always come back to ministry to children. Thank you so much for the lesson on prayer. Now I can plan my lesson stress free.

Our children’s area has been under construction for over a month now and we have to search each week for a place to meet. This week our theme is Construction Zone ~ Constructing a Life of Prayer. This will work out great for our lesson on prayer. Thanks

5. obehi says

Thank you so much. This has helped me plan my lesson for today. God bless you.

6. Diana Renee Matlock says

I love using your material for Sunday School. I am thankful for the links to coloring pages also. I wish you had more links to crafts to do with children so they get to learn by being hands on. Keep it up!

7. noly francisco cardenas says

i am grateful to God for your ministry! this will help lots to my class in sunday school especially those who do not know how to pray individually. please continue sending me. God bless you more! =)

8. Simone Riley says

I must congratulate you for the wonderful job you are doing. I have been using these posted lessons for children and found them to be timely. My children here in Jamaica enjoy each topic discussed and are applying them to their daily lives. I ran out of lessons, because I usually receive one each week and for quiet some time now I have not seen them in my inbox. However, I will definately use this one on Sunday. Please continue to send me lessons for my Children’s Ministry. Thank you and God bless you.
    Simone

9. lisa says

I am so thankful for the knowledge God has given you to help others to teach His word to children. Your lessons have made such an impact on young lives, and so easy for grown-ups to teach. I know that these lessons will grow with the children for the rest of their lives. Thank you for helping us to train up the children in the way that they should go.

10. Leticia says

Im a mother of three and was looking for a way to bond with my children. I thought that doing our own little Bible study at home would be a great idea. I came across this site and feel blessed that I have some of Gods tools at my fingertips to not only bond with my children but provide them there own tools to build their relationship with God and others around them. Thank You.

11. Joy C says

Thank you so much for this website! I attend a small church in The Colony, Texas and have just started to head up the curriculum for the toddlers class (18 mo – 3 yrs) so I am reading your site and taking bits and pieces to tailor it for a young group. So far we’ve done the 7 days of creation. I really appreciate this site!!!

12. Brooke says

Hi, I’m 11 years old. I am in 6th garde. I teach a Kids For Christ in scgool for 5th, 6th, and 7th garde. Thank you all of the kids at school will love this lesson. Although please add the song next time. I am not famialar with it :) Bye! I will chek out this website agian.

13. Selwyn says

I’m Selwyn, from India! I like this website a lot n love to read the stories, games n teach my Church Sunday School childrens n they love it..thanks!

14. Katie Burge says

This was an amazing addition to what I went over in class Sunday wanted to talk more about it on Wednesday when I found this it fits perfect thanks so much!

15. Betty gallier says

Starting out this year as a volunteer in Christian school,,sort of a fill end,,,would love to teach the children lessons from the Bible in a simple way for them to understand ,yet grasp as truth.

We are a young Church just over just over a yr and 1/2 old and I am facilitating Kids Church from scratch with 1 occassional helper. Thank you so much for this material: It is simple, user friendly and wonderfully valuable.

17. Katherine says

This was an awesome lesson! I teach a Wednesday Night Children’s Class and this was probably one of the best lesson I’ve taught so far!! Thanks so much for sharing.

18. CLH says

Nice information and easy to understand and teach to the children. Thanks!

19. Arden says

I am Sunday School Superintendent as well as teacher for 5th and 6th graders. We have children from 3 to 12 so sometimes lessons can be difficult to plan but this site has so many wonderful ideas that are easy to do with the age group we have. I usually do a little talk and we sing before they go to class and your information has been such a blessing to me. Thank you for this site and bless you for what you are accomplishing.

20. M.heiney says

This site has been a true blessing . May the Lord continue to use you and this ministry to help guide and direct all who visit and apply it’s teachings into a better understanding of our Lord and Savoir Jesus Christ.

21. Ann Dionela says

I am a Sunday School Department Head, your site has really been a blessing to me and the kids we minister with. May God bless you more and more!

I am so excited that you’ll be using the resource! Praying for you!
    Thanks for the encouragement!

23. Sally Miller says

To author of Prayer lesson, I am really looking forward to using some of these materials for an upcoming Sunday School lesson! You’ve given me some important resource information. Thank you,
    Sally

Trackbacks

Your voice matters -- Share your ideas with other readers.