The Bible is clear – fathers must step up and lead their family to follow the LORD. These powerful Bible verses are exactly the encouragement every man needs to hear this Father’s Day.
In honor of the fact that Father’s Day is fast approaching, here are 15 principals about being a Dad that we should remember from scripture:
1. All good parenting begins with a fear of the Lord.
In the fear of the LORD one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge. [Proverbs 14:26 ESV]
2. Fathers set the tone for their household. Make sure your God is at the center of your family.
And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” [Joshua 24:15 ESV]
3. The chief job of a father is to teach his kids biblical wisdom at all times.
And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. [Deuteronomy 6:6-9 ESV]
4. Always remember that children are a blessing from God.
Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate. [Psalms 127:3-5 ESV]
5. Find your parenting strength in God.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” [Joshua 1:9 ESV]
6. Talk to your kids about the Bible and help them to learn scripture. Use scripture as the basis for your parenting.
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. [2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV]
7. God works through fathers to impact their children and families. How is he working through you?
For I have chosen him, that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing righteousness and justice, so that the LORD may bring to Abraham what he has promised him.” [Genesis 18:19 ESV]
8. Teach your children wisdom and they will bring you joy.
The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice; he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him. [Proverbs 23:24 ESV]
9. Teach your children to lead their live based on a biblical worldview.
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. [Proverbs 22:6 ESV]
10. The way you lead your life can be a blessing to your kids. Lead a godly life.
The righteous who walks in his integrity– blessed are his children after him! [Proverbs 20:7 ESV]
11. Remember that your choices and actions will impact your kids and their kids and their kids.
The LORD passed before him and proclaimed, “The LORD, the LORD, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children’s children, to the third and the fourth generation.” [Exodus 34:6-7 ESV]
12. A good father disciplines his son out of love and with love.
My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the LORD reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights. [Proverbs 3:11-12 ESV]
13. Do not provoke your children.
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. [Ephesians 6:4 ESV]
14. Parenting is a temporary stewardship. Marriage is forever. The best thing you can do for your kids is to be a good husband.
Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. [Genesis 2:24 ESV]
15. God cares about the relationship between fathers and their kids.
And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the land with a decree of utter destruction.” [Malachi 4:6 ESV]
We hope you’ve enjoyed these father’s day scriptures, don’t miss all our father’s day ideas for church.