Musical instruments like trumpets feature prominently in the Bible. This cool instrument makes the perfect item to use for an object lesson. If you can get your hands on a trumpet, even a toy one you can have a lot of fun with the verses listed below. Give each child a toy trumpet (could be any kind of noisemaker) and tell them to “toot” when you say a certain word like, “Praise,” or “God” or “Zion.” Alternatively, you could ask a volunteer (or a puppet) to blow the trumpet and have him mess it all up, missing his cues. That will get laughing and ready to praise God!
Verses for a Blow the Trumpet Lesson
Joel 2:1 “Blow a trumpet in Zion, And sound an alarm on My holy mountain! Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble, For the day of the LORD is coming; Surely it is near,”
Joel 2:15 “Blow a trumpet in Zion, Consecrate a fast, proclaim a solemn assembly…”
Hosea 8:1 “Put the trumpet to your lips! Like an eagle the enemy comes against the house of the LORD, Because they have transgressed My covenant And rebelled against My law.”
2 Chronicles 13:14-15 “When Judah turned around, behold, they were attacked both front and rear; so they cried to the LORD, and the priests blew the trumpets. Then the men of Judah raised a war cry, and when the men of Judah raised the war cry, then it was that God routed Jeroboam and all Israel before Abijah and Judah.”
Blow the Trumpet Prompts
- When you or your volunteer blows the trumpet, have the children shout, “Praise the Lord!”
- When you blow the trumpet have kids stand at attention as if they were answering God’s call to battle.
- When you blow the trumpet have kids find another seat.
- When you blow the trumpet have kids wave a banner or twirl a ribbon and give God praise.
- Lead a parade around your building or classroom blowing the trumpet.
I love trumpets! Kids do too! Have fun teaching!
Read more from Mimi by visiting her blog at Tools for Kids Church.
- “Being Sorry” Bible Object Lesson & Teaching Skit
- Blanket Object Lesson
- Trick or Treat Bible Object Lesson
- Lesson: Jehoshaphat & The Miraculous Musical Rescue (2 Chronicles 20: 13-30)
- Gideon Lesson for Children’s Church