New Outfits! Craft Ideas for “Putting on Christ”
On our own, we tend towards selfish and sinful behavior, which ultimately leads to sorrow and destruction. In Jesus, though, we have the opportunity to trade our sins for joy, and gain a new and better life! These crafts remind children that we can “clothe with Christ” by focusing on Him, giving Him our sinful trouble, and trusting in His love and grace. A homemade paper doll set provides a visual for “trading clothes” and attitudes. A decorative butterfly reflects how we are new creations in Christ.
Bible Verses or Captions to Consider… (Colossians 3:1-14)
Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. In Christ, I am a new creation! -Colossians 3:9-10
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. -Colossians 3:12
14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. -Colossians 3:14
Over all things, put on love!
Clothe yourself with Christ…
Be clothed with compassion, humility, and kindness!
More Bible Teaching Activities
- Watch the video of this children’s sermon and related Sunday School craft ideas
- Compare our Colossians 3:16 Sunday School Lesson for Kids
- See all our children’s ministry lessons and activities from the book of Colossians
- Download the Put On – Put Off Coloring Page for this Bible passage
Craft one: “Clothing Swap Paper Doll”
You will need:
- Crayons or markers
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Paper Plates or cardboard/card stock
- Tape, glue, or staples
- Popsicle sticks
- Additional décor (optional)
- Use the paper plates or cardboard for the base of paper “dolls”. Trace a person image and carefully cut out.
- Add verses and captions to the paper dolls.
- Cut out paper “clothes” for the doll, in various decorative colors and styles.
- Add extra decorations and verses, as desired. Attach paper doll(s) to popsicle sticks for play and display!
Craft Two: “New Creation Butterfly”
You will need:
- Construction Paper or cardstock
- Coffee filters
- String or pipe cleaner
- Decorative elements as desired
- Markers or crayons
1. Color and decorate the coffee filter as “wings.”
2. Decorate the clothespin with a butterfly “face” element.
3. Use pip cleaners to make “antennae.” Attach the coffee filter and antennae with clothespin.
4. Add verses and captions. Use the butterfly as a decorative reminder that in Christ, you are a beautiful and new creation!
Kids Love Sunday School Crafts
We hope your children’s ministry will benefit from these learning activity suggestions for kids church or Sunday School. Elementary and Preschool children learn best with hands-on craft projects that help them integrate and reflect on the Bible teaching theme and moral lesson.