Use these craft activities ideas when teaching the story of Elijah in your kids church or Sunday School. Download the directions below, watch our video demonstration, and gather your craft supplies as you prepare to teach.
Earthquake, Wind, Fire, and Whisper… Elijah Hears God’s Whisper on the Mountain – Bible Craft Activities from 1 Kings 19:1-15 on Listening to God
How do we hear from God? How do we know He is near? Sometimes we wish that we could hear Him with a mighty voice or obvious signs, but God comes in mysterious and unexpected ways. He can speak to us through various means, sometimes in the slightest whispers! These crafts celebrate the story of Elijah on Mount Horeb, recounting how God is present with us and communicates, even when we don’t feel or hear Him as we think we should. A “mystery sound bag” uses odd items to make a game of listening to varied sounds, reminding us to listen for God’s voice. A “God Whispers Wheel” tells the story with a decorative element.
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (1 Kings 19:1-15)
The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. -1 Kings 19:11-13
Where is God? Listen for His voice!
More Sunday School Activities on Listening to God
- Watch our children’s sermon on 1 Kings 19:1-15 and Crafts on Elijah Hearing God’s Whisper
- Compare a full Sunday School Lesson on God’s Gentle Whisper to Elijah
- Compare a an older elementary Bible Lesson on the Story of Elijah for Kids
- Compare another God appears to Elijah in 1 Kings 19:1-15 children’s church lesson
- See all our free Sunday School activities on the Story of Elijah for Kids
Craft one: “Mystery Sound Bag”
You will need:
- Paper bag
- Crayons or markers
- Popsicle sticks (any size)
- Balloon, bubble wrap, dried noodles, beads, etc. (items that make noise).
- Stickers or decorative items.
- Decorate the outside of the paper bag. Add verses and captions as desired.
- Inside the bag, place items that make noise (bubble wrap, balloons, dried noodles, etc.)
- Use the bag to play a “what’s that sound?” game: blindfold one player, draw out an item, and try to guess what the item is according to the sound only.
- If desired, hang bag in a spot to recount the story and importance of listening to God’s voice.
Craft Two: “God Whispers Wheel”
You will need:
- Construction Paper or cardstock
- Paper plates
- Glue (tacky recommended)
- Brad fastener
- Pom-poms, stickers, glitter, or other extra decorations
- Markers or crayons
1. Divide one of the paper plates into fourths (quadrants).
2. On each quadrant, write a brief caption for “earthquake”, “wind”, “fire”, and “whisper.” Add extra decorations (stickers, pictures, pom-poms, etc.) as desired.
3. On the second paper plate, cut out a quadrant. Decorate with verses and captions to accompany the first plate.
4. Use the brad fastener to attach the plates. Spin the top plate to reveal the various parts of the story and recall how Elijah met God.