What is wisdom? How do we get it and use it, and why is it important? Youngsters might imagine wisdom to be synonymous with intelligence, but it is helpful to explain that wisdom comes from the Lord, and that it involves decisions and discernment. These crafts highlight those principles. A “Decision Bag” allows children to create a re-usable tool for making choices. A “Treasure Box” reminds kids that wisdom is a true treasure. And an owl puppet is a nod to the classically “wise” animal which serves as a wisdom-seeking guide.
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (Main Text: 1 Kings 3:3-14; Ephesians 5:15-21)
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. -Ephesians 5:15-17
behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you. 13 I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor, so that no other king shall compare with you, all your days. 14 And if you will walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days.” -1 Kings 3:12-14
Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?” 10 It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this -1 Kings 3:9-10
. How to be Wise like an owl….
TRUE treasure is….
WISDOM! Trust in the Lord….
How to be wise like an owl…
More Teaching Ideas:
- Watch the video of this children’s sermon and related craft ideas on our website
- Download the complete Ephesians 5:15-21 Sunday School Lesson
- Compare another Sunday School Lesson from Ephesians 5
Craft one: “Decision in a Bag” Tool
You will need:
- Plastic bag (gallon Ziploc)
- Dry erase markers
- Markers or crayons
- Markers, crayons, etc.
- Other decorations (jewels, stickers, etc.)
- Create a chart on cardstock or construction paper, with spaces for “choice”, “pros”, and “cons.” Consider using two colors or pieces of paper.
- Add decorations to the Ziploc bag, such as jewels or stickers.
- Attach additional verses or captions as desired.
- Slide the paper(s) into the bag. Use the dry-erase markers to make notes on the outside of the bag, allowing thoughts that can later be erased and re-written. Use the bag to consider elements of each side when making decisions.
Craft Two: “Treasured Wisdom Box”
You will need:
- Fabric (optional)
- Markers/crayons (fabric markers advised)
1. Decorate the outside of the box: you may wish to wrap in fabric or paper, or simply adorn with stickers, jewels, or markers.
2. Inside the box, line with paper or fabric. Add extra decorations as desired.
3. Inside the box, use paper “coins” or other pieces to brainstorm methods of acquiring wisdom.
4. Attach extra verses or captions, if desired.
5. Use your treasure box as a reminder that wisdom is better than earthly riches or treasure!
Craft Three: “Wise Owl Puppet”
You will need:
- Paper or Styrofoam cups
- Googly eyes
- Glue or tape
- Construction paper/cardstock
- Pipe cleaners
- Feathers (optional)
1. Decorate the cup to serve as an “owl.” Decide whether to face the cup upside down or with the opening up (opening up allows room to place suggestions).
2. Cut paper “feet” or use pipe cleaners for feet. Attach to the bottom of the owl.
3. Glue or draw eyes near the top.
4. Add a paper “beak” and feathers or paper wings, if desired.
5. Add extra verses or decorations. If you choose to use the owl as a puppet, consider mounting on a stick. If the decoration will house methods of gaining wisdom, write those ideas on paper slips and place within the cup or on popsicle sticks inside the cup.
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.