God wants all of who we are. Giving Him our first offerings is about more than money. We should use our time, talents, and all of who we are to the Lord. In return, God promises to bless us and provide for us. He has already given us great things with His grace and salvation through Jesus. These crafts remind children of the importance of giving. A homemade coin purse is meant to save monetary offerings. A “shiny offerings” hanger uses foil shapes to recount non-monetary ways that we give to God.
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (Mark 12:38-44)
And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. 44 For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.” -Mark 12:43-44
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. -2 Corinthians 9:7
God loves a cheerful giver!
Give to God….All that you have!
All things belong to the Lord!
I give to God…more than just the “Shiny stuff”!
More Teaching Ideas
- Watch the video of this children’s sermon and related Bible craft ideas
- Compare our full Widow’s Mite Sunday School Lesson
Craft one: “Save it up Coin Purse”
You will need:
- Stickers or decorations
- String or ribbon
- Markers and/or crayons
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Measure your paper to find a solid equal fitting for an envelope shape, with a flat-topped triangle on one side.
- Fold part of the paper up to join the triangle’s corners.
- Hole punch the sides of the paper, and string yarn or ribbon through the holes.
- Add extra decorations or verses as desired.
- Fold the top down and cut a small slit to tuck it into.
- Use the container to carry or store coins and offerings!
Craft Two: “Shiny Stuff is God’s” Decoration
You will need:
- Cardstock/construction paper
- Glue or tape
- Aluminum foil (coins optional)
- Additional decorations (glitter, sequins, etc.)
- Hole punch
1. Decorate the card (paper) and attach verses or captions.
2. Use aluminum foil to create shapes that represent things God might want, or create fun designs with the shiny foil.
3. Tape or glue some of the foil pieces to the paper.
4. Add words that represent other things we might give to God, aside from money.
5. Attach a string or pipe cleaner to hang the reminder display and consider what we offer unto the Lord.
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.