Here is a preschool lesson about prayer for your toddler or preschool Sunday School class at church. It’s based on selected scriptures and teachers younger children this powerful truth – they can talk to God.
This lesson plan was written for a preschool class at church, but it could be modified for other ministry settings. You could expand it for elementary children or use it at home for family devotions.
Bible Truth: I Can Pray
Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 5:17 – “pray continually” | Colossians 4:2 – “Devote yourselves to prayer” | Ephesians 6:18 – “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests”
Target Age Group: Ages 2 – 4
Learning Context: Any small group setting like Sunday School or Church Toddler class.
Target Time Frame: 30 minutes
Materials Needed: Pictures to represent a quiet place (search Google images), being alone, being in a crowd, night, day, storm, sunny day.
Coloring Page: Print off our prayer coloring pages.
Lesson Plan: Briefly explain the following scriptures to the children, be expressive and show this fact is amazing – God actually wants us to talk to him.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 – “pray continually”
- Colossians 4:2 – “Devote yourselves to prayer”
- Ephesians 6:18 – “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests”
Explain to them that God tells us in His word to pray and that they can pray to God any time. Explain that praying is talking with God.
Show pictures of places where we can pray. Use the pictures to help kids understand when and where we can pray.
Materials Needed for Craft Time:
- Empty/cleaned baby food jars with lids
- Labels that are preprinted with “I Can Pray”
- Praying hands/Bible stickers
- 4 small pieces of paper per child
- Give each child a baby food jar. Help him put one of the provided “I Can Pray” labels on it. They can also use other stickers to decorate their jar.
- Give each child four small pieces of paper. Have kids each draw a picture of something they want to pray for on each paper. Suggest praying for Mommy, Daddy, your church, and people who are sick. Have kids fold their drawings and put them into their jars. During prayer time, have kids pull out pictures and pray for what they’ve drawn. Challenge kids to take their jars home and have their parents pray with them everyday.
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.