Children’s Church Lesson: Jesus Battles The Devil
Text: Matthew 4:1-11
Learning Objectives: After this lesson, children will demonstrate knowledge of the three temptations of the Devil used against Jesus … by choosing them from a list of possible answers.
Target Age: Kindergarten – 5th
- Marked Bible for this passage. Prepare the copy in advance by highlighting the significant points to emphasize. Underlining words or ideas that will need additional explanation. I typically make small notes in the margin.
Explanation: This passage is often overlooked in children’s curriculum. But it is a great chance to show the importance of memorizing scripture. It also shows the how weak the Devil is compared to Jesus. Use our free lesson to teach about the Temptation of Jesus for kids.
Bible Lesson Teaching Plan
Who was the first person the Devil ever tricked? What happened? What was God going to do about it? Remind the children that when Adam sinned it brought death into the world. It made all of Adam’s children (that’s us) to be enemies of God. But God was sending Jesus to save sinners. So the Devil was trying to trick Jesus more than anyone else – ever!
Active Listening: Say, “Today we are going to learn about the time Jesus battled the Devil. This story is from Matthew 4. I want you to listen carefully for the three tricks the devil tries to use on Jesus and how God’s Son fights back.
Read (and summarize) Matthew 4:1-11. (Read with emotion and pause often to engage the children with the reading.) Remind the children that Jesus knew his special mission to die on the cross. But if Jesus fell into sin he could not save us! So Jesus always had to obey God. Be sure to emphasize the three tricks you asked the children to listen for:
- Stones to bread – not trusting God, not waiting for God.
- Jump off the Temple – wanting to get famous.
- Get all the kingdoms by worshiping the devil – wanting to get power.
Ask for reports. The children should be able to repeat back the three points you emphasized. Say, “This story shows us how Jesus used his fighter verses (memory verses) to fight against the Devils tricks.”
Matching: Match Jesus response to the right temptation. Read the response Jesus gave and have the children recall which trick he was fighting.
- You shall worship to Lord your God and him only shall you serve. #3
- You shall not put the Lord your God to the test. #2
- Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God. #1
Test: Ask the children to stand up if the tricks you read were the one’s that Jesus had to battle in the story. If not from the story have them cross their arms.
- Turn these stones into break.
- Turn this water into wine.
- Jump off the temple.
- Do not obey your parents.
- Get power over all the kingdoms by worshiping the Devil.
Look: Ask the children to think of some tricks the Devil might use on people they know.
Took: How can they fight against these tricks?
- Use fighter verses
- Ask Jesus for help, he already beat the Devil