All of the most important guiding rules in our Christian life come back to the basics: we are called to love God with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength. We are to love one another. These crafts remind children of those beautiful foundational principles. A bookmark reflects the “best commandments” and the “JOY” acronym (“Jesus, Others, Yourself”). A hanging wind sock illustrates how we love God with all of our being.
Don’t miss our complete Sunday School lesson on the Greatest Commandment for more ideas.
Bible Verses or Captions to Consider… (Mark 12:28-34)
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” -Matthew 22:37-40
“The most important one (commandment),” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. -Deuteronomy 6:5
Love the Lord your God with….
Love the Lord…Love your Neighbor!
What is the Greatest Commandment?
Craft one: “The Great Commandment Bookmark”
You will need:
- Stickers or decorations
- String or ribbon
- Markers and/or crayons
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Cut a large piece of paper or cardstock into a shape similar to tablets (commandments).
- On the outside of the paper, write a reminder of the law/commandments.
- Inside the paper, add the “JOY” acronym and a note on the meaning of the verses and importance of following Christ first.
- Add extra decorations or verses as desired.
- Attach a hanger or magnet for display or bookmarking purposes, if desired.
Craft Two: “On This Hangs the Law Windsock”
You will need:
- Streamers/crepe paper
- Glue or tape
- Additional decorations (glitter, sequins, etc.)
- Hole punch
1. Decorate the “windsock” main component by cutting a long strip (or stapled strips) of paper and adding verses and captions.
2. Cut various pieces of paper or cardstock into shapes similar to “heart”, “Mind”, or “soul”.
3. Add extra decorations to all pieces and verses as desired.
4. Staple the main portion together. Attach other pieces with crepe paper/streamer or ribbon and staples. If desired, add yarn or ribbon to hang.
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.