How can we demonstrate our faith? As Christians, it’s important to live out who we say we are through love and service to others. When we genuinely share and care for those around us, it shows the fruit of the Holy Spirit at work within us. Saying we love the Lord doesn’t mean much if we don’t shine His light. These crafts remind students of the importance of authentic Christianity. A “let your light shine lantern” serves as a decorative reflection of Christ’s light in us. A “sharing tree” provides creative methods of helping other people as we love and serve God.
Bbile Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (Luke 3:7-18)
John answered them all, saying, “I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. -Luke 3:16
And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.” -Luke 3:11
Shine the light of Christ!
Share the good news…let your light shine for Jesus!
Sharing tree…I can share with others by….
Share God’s love! Help one another!
More Teaching Ideas:
- Watch our teaching example of this children’s sermon lesson and related Bible craft ideas
- Download a full Luke 3:7-18 Sunday School Lesson. See more Christmas Bible Lessons
- View all the Advent and Christmas resources at the Sunday School Store
Craft one: “Share with Others Tree”
You will need:
- Foam or paper cup, or container
- Popsicle sticks
- Markers and/or crayons
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Stickers and decorations
- Glue or tape
- Paper bag
- Decorate the outside of the container or cup. Add captions or verses.
- Create several “ornaments” by stringing cut paper onto pipe cleaners. On each paper, write an idea for how to serve or share with others.
- Use hot glue to attach several popsicle sticks together into a “tree” shape with “branches”.
- Hang the ornaments on the “tree”. Add a crumpled paper bag to the cup, and tuck the “tree” down inside it.
Craft Two: “Let your Light Shine” Lantern
You will need:
- Construction paper or card stock
- Decorations (stickers, etc.)
- Paper bag
- Hole punch
- Pipe cleaner or string
- Tape or glue
- Small tea light (battery operated/electric)
- Decorate the paper bag with verses, captions, and stickers.
- Trace several shapes in the paper bag (on one or both sides). Carefully cut out the shapes.
- Place a small flashlight or tea light into the bag.
- Attach a pipe cleaner or string to hang the lantern or decorate it, if desired. Place in a prominent spot to “shine the light of Christ”!