It’s not an official holiday, but many churches mark October as “Pastor Appreciation Month” and the 2nd Sunday as “Pastor Appreciation Day.”
- October 12, 2014 is pastor appreciation day
- October 11, 2015 will be the day next year
- October 9 ,2016 the following date
This is a good time to teach children about the role of the Pastor and how they can show respect. Here are a few resources from our website that will help you get started.
- Download our free Pastor Appreciation coloring page or Pastors are heroes coloring sheets. In my church we use these for an “appreciation bomb” on the Pastor’s office. While he’s preaching the sermon that morning we decorate his study with the children’s artwork.
- We’ve also written an article on how to show pastor appreciation and not just one month each year.
- SBC Voices also posted ideas to appreciate pastor’s wives.
- Even more ideas to encourage your preacher
- Read the forum discussion on Kidology for some good ideas
- Read what your pastor wish you knew from Children’s Ministry Magazine
You should probably know that the history behind the pastor appreciation month/day is a little dubious. The guy who launched the concept later went to jail for defrauding his own church members. (Read more here) Ultimately, showing honor to Christian leaders is something the Bible commands, even if the “holiday” has a weird history.