Use this free 42 lesson series to teach kids about the character and attributes of God. All lessons will be linked on this page as we add them (Spring 2019).
Attributes of God Lessons for Kids
- God is Almighty= He has absolute power or is all powerful
- God is the Alpha and Omega= He is the beginning and the end, the first and the last
- God is Awesome = He inspires awe and amazement
- God is Compassionate = He shows a deep concern for His people & a desire to meet their needs
- God is the Deliverer = He is the rescuer or savior
- God is Exalted = He is noble, elevated and lifted up
- God is Faithful = He is reliable, trustworthy, true to His Word & keeps His promises
- God Forgives = He grants pardon and cancels the debt of sin
- God is Glorious = He is full of glory (praise, honor & distinction)
- God is Good = morally excellent, virtuous or righteous
- God is Gracious = merciful, benevolent, kind & compassionate
- God Guides His People= He leads, accompanies, assists and gives direction/ guidance
- God Heals = make healthy & whole & free from ailments
- God is Holy = He is sinless, perfect and set apart
- God is our Hope = He is the One in whom our expectations are centered
- Jesus is Immanuel = God with Us
- God is Judge = He is the One who rules over and passes judgement on others
- God is Just = He is the One who is fair and does what is right
- God is King of kings & Lord of lords = He is The One who rules the rulers
- Jesus is the Lamb without blemish = He is the perfect sacrifice for sin
- God is Love = God has tender and caring affection for His people
- God is Majestic = God is stately, kingly, grand & raised up
- God is Merciful = God is full of compassion, pity, and undeserved grace & love for another
- God is Omnipotent = He is almighty or infinite in power
- God is Omnipresent = He is everywhere all the time
- God is Omniscient = He knows everything
- God is One = the Only God
- God Protects His People = He defends, guards, covers & shields His people
- God is Righteous = He is always right & He always does what is right
- God is the Rock = solid, strong and offering protection
- God provides the PERFECT SACRIFICE for sin = Jesus is the gift or payment that paid for our sin
- God Saves = to rescue from danger
- God Shepherds His people = He tends, guards and watches over His people
- God is a Shield= He hides, conceals & protects His people (through Jesus’ blood)
- God is Sovereign = He rules over all
- Jesus is the One Mediator = He is the One who stands between (us & God) and brings judgement
- God is Trustworthy = He is dependable, reliable, honest & faithful
- God is Truth = fact, reliable, not false in any way
- God is Unchangeable = He cannot be moved, He does not change
- God is Wise = He is able to discern what is right or true
- God is With Us = He is here, present, involved in our lives
- Review Week
One of the most important tasks of anyone in charge of children’s ministry is that of deciding what to teach the children under your care. In my years as a children’s ministry director it was one task that I took very seriously. There were so many things I wanted the children in our church to know, but as I listed them out, they all boiled down to the gospel: who is God?, who is man? and what did Jesus do? With these three simple questions and guidelines in mind I started forming our children’s materials.
We started where the Bible starts. No, not creation, but GOD…. In the beginning God…
Who is God? What is God like? What does God do?
The highest science, the loftiest speculation, the mightiest philosophy, which can ever engage the attention of a child of God, is the name, the nature, the person, the work, the doings, and the existence of the great God whom he calls Father.C.H. Spurgeon
We started with this series of 42 lessons on the character of God to introduce children to the greatness of God.
Through these lessons children will be introduced to fullness of God’s character one attribute at a time. Most churched children will tell you that God created the world, or He rescues His people, or even that Jesus came to earth to rescue God’s people, but the goal of these lessons is for them to begin to know more of who He is and what it means to worship Him for who He is.
But, through these lesson the secondary goal is that they also answer the other two questions – who is man in light of who God is and what did Jesus do? As children learn of God’s holiness for example, they’ll be confronted with their own sinfulness and the way that Jesus reconciled a holy God to sinful man on the cross. Week after week, children will see the bigness of God and see how they can truly know God through Jesus.
AGE GROUP: elementary (ages 6-11)
TIME REQUIRED: 45 minutes
SUPPLIES NEEDED: Bibles, paper, pencils, crayons and markers – occasional other materials are listed week by week.
These lessons are designed to be done with a group of children and are perfect for Sunday School or mid-week Bible study times. They can also be easily adapted for use as a Bible lesson in a homeschool setting, or could be used by families for family worship.
If you choose to use them for family worship you may want to divide the lesson to stretch over 4 days like this: day 1 – learn the attribute and motion and review previous weeks, day 2 – read and discuss the scripture text and see how the attribute is shown in this text, day 3 – memory verse & review activity, day 4 – cross connection
INTRO REVIEW –
Each lesson starts with a review of previous lessons. Sometimes this is in the form of a game and other times just a simple review to help children remember what they’ve learned so far.
The bulk of each lesson is spent on teaching the new attribute for the week. This time includes:
– introduction of the attribute
– reading and discussing scripture where this truth of God is seen clearly.
– often an opportunity for children to act out the story
DEFINE AND REMEMBER –
In this portion of the lesson, the attribute of God being taught is clearly defined with a simple definition, explained and then a motion is taught to help the children remember this attribute.
MEMORY VERSE –
Each week a memory verse is introduced that teaches this attribute. Often games or activities are included to help learn the verse.
CROSS CONNECTION –
In this section we take the attribute for the week to the cross and see how Christ displayed this attribute or what this truth of God means in light of the gospel. During this time, verses are often read and discussed and children will clearly hear the gospel proclaimed.
REVIEW & PRAYER –
The lesson finishes each week with children being given a chance to apply what they’ve learned by drawing/ writing something to help them remember this truth of God. And the lesson closes with prayer prompts to go along with the lesson.