How do we have good “heart hygiene”? These crafts recollect the importance of not only taking care of our physical bodies, but having the right heart intent as well. Children will consider the blessing and comfort of knowing that Jesus washes our inner sins away. A “Clean Up Box” provides a handy space for cleaning implements, as well as reminders of how to focus on Christ first and foremost. A hanging bathroom decoration serves to remind kids that hand washing is important, and a great time to say a prayer!
Verses or Captions to Consider… (Mark 7:1-15)
And he called the people to him again and said to them, “Hear me, all of you, and understand: 15 There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.” -Mark 7:14-15
Wash your hands! And say your prayers…God is with us and He cares!
Wash your hands, say your prayers, germs and Jesus are everywhere!
Clean hands and cleaner hearts!
Be Clean…outside and in!
Box of cleaning…
More Teaching Ideas:
- Watch the video teaching example of this children’s sermon and Bible craft idea demonstration on the Ministry-To-Children YouTube channel.
- Compare another Sunday School Lesson on Clean Hearts from Mark 7
Craft one: “Clean Up Box”
You will need:
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Glue, tape, or staples
- Markers, crayons, etc.
- Box or container of some sort
- Other decorations (jewels, stickers, etc.)
- Cover the box/container with construction paper, cardstock, or wrapping paper.
- Decorate the box with labels and verses.
- Add decorative elements as desired.
- Use the “clean up box” to store and hold cleaning products such as soap and hand sanitizer.
- Place paper strips in the box with words or phrases to remember how to pursue a “clean heart.”
Craft Two: “Clean Hands and Hearts Reminder”
You will need:
- Pipe cleaners (optional)
- Hole punch
1. Cut paper or cardstock into a heart shape.
2. Trace a hand (child’s hand) on another sheet of paper, and cut it out as well.
3. Add captions to both papers, recounting the importance of washing hands and having clean intentions and heart attitudes.
4. Hole punch each shape. Place a pipe cleaner or ribbon through them.
5. Hang the decoration in a bathroom or near a sink as a pleasant reminder to “wash up”, inside and out!
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.