This lesson teaches children the way in which the Lord overcomes the evil schemes of Haman and the provision given to the Jews in regard to the decree to annihilate them. It also helps teach eternal security. This lesson works well for Children’s Church or for Sunday School.
Note: The book of Esther can be difficult to relate back to Jesus and his Good News. One clear connection is the promise that the Savior would be born from the family of Abraham. The plot to eliminate the Jews (the promised family) was a threat to God’s promise. When God saved Esther and the Jews in Persia, he was also protecting the future birth of Jesus according to his promises. The saving work of Christ was directly tied to God’s saving work in the book of Esther.
Bible Story: God Saves Esther and Her People
Scripture: Esther 8:1-17
Target Age Group: Age 7 – 12 (U.S. 1st – 6th Grade)
Time: 20 Minutes
Learning Context: Children’s Church
Printer Friendly Bible Lesson: [print_link] this lesson plan
You Can Help: Please leave your feedback and suggestions for this lesson plan. Others will benefit from your ideas. Click here to respond
Learning Objectives: After this lesson…
- Children share their knowledge of the key people and events learned in this chapter with an activity.
- Children share what they understand about a decree being sealed by the king’s signet ring.
- Children share what they understand about the Lord’s provision to save the Jews from annihilation.
- [print_link] this lesson plan
- Bible: Esther 8:1-17. Prior to the lesson highlight the important points to ensure specific explanation of them.
- Visual Aids: Pictures of King Ahasuerus, Queen Esther, and Mordecai. Have a large ring to use as an example of a signet ring. Have paper, pens, envelopes, and cross stickers. Try searching those names on Google Images.
Children’s Teaching Plan:
Establish the lesson by briefly reviewing the previous chapters. Help the children to understand the Lord’s perfect timing of Esther revealing her family heritage and the reason the Lord kept it a secret. Make sure the children understand the Lord sees when evil plans are being made against His people and in His timing and way He protects them.
Prepare the children for the lessons in this chapter by briefly explaining the key people in the chapter by showing pictures of King Ahasuerus, Queen Esther, and Mordecai. Have the children repeat their names.
Prior to reading the chapter, divide the children into two groups and ask one half to listen for what this chapter teaches about the seal of the king’s signet ring on a decree. Ask the other half of the children to discover the way the Lord provided protection for the Jews from being destroyed.
Read (and Recap) Esther 8:1-17. Read with different voices and stop to involve the children into the chapter. Use the ring to demonstrate the importance it had on sealing the king’s decree. Reinforce the lessons by asking questions. What is Esther still upset about after Haman’s hanging? The decree still exists to annihilate the Jews. Who has been placed in charge of Haman’s house? Esther. Who did the king give the signet ring? Mordecai. Say to the children, “If we are honest, we don’t always understand the way the Lord works in our lives.”
When you’re finished reading the chapter, use the pictures to review the important people and events in this chapter.
Ask for a response from the children about their listening assignment. What did the seal of the king’s signet ring mean? How did the Lord provide protection for the Jews?
Give each child a piece of paper, envelope, sticker, and writing utensil. Have the children write down something important that they don’t want anyone but the Lord to know what the paper says. Have them seal the envelope and place a sticker over the back seal. Emphasize the truth that the sticker is like the king’s signet ring. It is an extra seal, placing extra protection on the importance of what is written on the inside and the desire for it not to be broken.
Use this object lesson to demonstrate the truth that when Jesus died on the cross for our sins, the Holy Spirit is given as a seal to confirm that salvation. Help the children understand that just like the king’s decree could not broken when sealed by the signet ring, our salvation is sealed by the Holy Spirit and makes it secure too.
Children’s Lesson Evaluation:
Ask for a volunteer to retell the important lessons learned from this chapter about the king’s signet ring and the Lord’s provision of protection for His people.
Give a list of possible lessons and ask the children to raise their hands if it was part of this chapter of Esther.
- Mordecai revealed a plot to Esther regarding a threat on the king’s life. True, but not part of this chapter.
- Esther feared for her life to appear before the king without being summoned. True, but not part of this chapter.
- Haman’s decree for the Jews annihilation could not be revoked. Yes.
- Esther had two banquets that she invited the king and Haman? True, but not part of this chapter.
- The king gave Esther charge of Haman’s house? Yes.
- Mordecai came up with a decree to save the Jews? Yes.
Need More Help? Be sure to check out all our Sunday School lessons for children or find music for your children’s church.