Christmas is a joyful, blessed, marvelous time and day to celebrate. It can be easy, though, to get wrapped up in holiday hubbub and forget where our focus should be. As we anticipate and rejoice in the birth of Jesus, we should also think about the blessing of why He came and what it means for us. These fun crafts are great for anytime around Christmas, offering unique takes on the story of the Nativity. A “Star of Bethlehem Scene” uses various media to set up the scene of the story in the stable. A “Messianic Parenthood Puppet” uses a reversible paper bag puppet and Jesus element to tell the tale.
Download our complete 20-page Luke 2:1-20 Sunday School lesson that features these crafts. You can also preview the Bible Object Lesson on Jesus the Star of Christmas.
Craft one: “Star of Bethlehem Scene”
You will need:
- Paper plates
- Markers and/or crayons
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Glue, tape, or stapler
- Clothespins and/or cupcake liners
- Extra decorations as desired
- Decorate a paper or cardstock sheet with basic background elements and verses or captions to prepare for a Nativity scene.
- Decorate popsicle sticks or clothespins to serve as components of the story.
- Place a star, stickers, and other decorations in the scene. Hang, if desired, to recount the story and celebrate the star!
Craft Two: “Messianic Parenthood Puppet”
You will need:
- Construction paper or card stock
- Decorations (stickers, glitter, etc.)
- Paper bags
- Paper towel tube
- Tape or glue
1. Decorate a paper bag to fit the character of Mary, with paper or cloth clothing and facial features as desired.
2. On the other side of the bag, create a “Joseph” after the same manner.
3. Add verses or captions.
4. Decorate a toilet paper tube as Jesus, wrapped in streamer “swaddling” if desired.
5. Place the baby with either side of the puppet and use to reenact the Nativity story.
And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth. 7 And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn. -Luke 2:6-7
Unto us a son is born…
Jesus…the star of my life!
Jesus is the star of the story!
Jesus is born!