Use these crafts when teaching kids that Jesus Christ is “The Way, the Truth, and the Life.” They work with any John 14:1-14 lesson plan for Sunday School. Download the craft directions, watch our how-to instructions video, and then gather your craft supplies.
Jesus is the Key to the Kingdom!
Craft Ideas for Jesus, the Way and the Life
Jesus is the only way to enter into God’s Kingdom. Jesus is the key that unlocks all of the other things in our lives. He described Himself as the way, the truth, and the life, and said that He was one with the Father. No other religions or teachers will save us. These are important things to remember, but how can we form them into some memorable crafts? As usual, there are plenty of options! Here are a few ideas, focusing on Jesus as the way to life and the “key” to salvation.
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (Main Text: John 14:1-14)
Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. –John 14:1
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. –John 14:6
Jesus points the way to eternal life!
Jesus is the key to Heaven!
The way of life is through Jesus…He unlocks the DOOR!
More teaching ideas on Jesus is the Way
- See all our lessons and ministry ideas about Jesus is the Way.
- See our video playlist on Jesus is the Way.
- See our Sunday School Lesson “I am the way, the truth, the life”
- Compare our children’s sermon on this passage
Craft one: “Jesus Points the Way” Compass
You will need (craft supplies)
- Paper plate or card stock
- Markers, stickers, or other decorating materials
- Stickers (Optional)
- Brad fasteners
- Construction paper or card stock
Procedure (step-by-step directions)
- Decorate the plate (or paper, cut into a circle) to resemble a compass. Be as creative as you like with markers and stickers, and add a verse or caption to remind yourself of the significance of the compass.
- Cut out a small arrow shape from construction paper.
- Carefully poke a hole in the plate, after lining up where the fastener might need to go.
- Place the brad through the paper arrow and the plate, creating a compass that “points the way” to Christ.
Craft Two: “Jesus is the Key” Ring
Supplies you will need for this craft:
- Construction Paper or card stock
- Stickers or decorative supplies
- Markers or crayons
- Hole Punch
- Pipe cleaners or string
Directions & Procedure:
- Draw an outline onto the construction paper or cardstock, if desired, preparing the paper in the shape of keys.
- Decorate the paper with verse captions, stickers, words, and images.
- Carefully cut the outline to make your “keys” from the paper.
- Punch a hole in the top of each key, and place onto a pipe cleaner or string to keep the keys together.
Bonus Craft Project Ideas
Keep the fun going and follow the “Jesus is the way” theme! All you need is paper and writing materials, but feel free to get as creative as you like when you design things like:
- A map: help kids make a map, showing somewhere they know, directions to somewhere they’d like to go, or even something completely random! You can also turn it into an old-fashioned “pirate treasure map”, if you need a bonus activity.
- A maze: create a large box or circle, and draw a path through it to the other side. Arrange confusing and conflicting lines around it, and pass off to someone else to try and solve.
- Go outside and use chalk to draw a path showing “the way” through or to something…you might even trace your feet going down it!
- Make a “Holy Spirit comforter”—something soft and cozy (like felt) wrapped or sewn like a pouch. Be as artsy or simple as you like, and hang onto your item to remember that God is always with us!