These crafts remind us that Jesus is the light of the world, and we want to direct others to Him! The seasonal crafts focus on Christmas-themed elements, particularly Christmas lights and candles. A few variations are given to allow flexibility and offer multiple types of similar creations.
Jesus is the Light of the World”
Bible Crafts from John 1:6-8, 19-28 about the how Jesus is the light.
Christmas is a wonderful time of festivities, decorations, and celebrations. Of course, as such, it lends itself to some terrific craft opportunities! These crafts connect to the gospel of John and the significance of Jesus Christ as the light of the world. During the season of Advent, we enjoy looking at candles and Christmas lights, and we want them to remind us that the hope of Jesus is the light of the world. Like John the Baptist, we can point to Christ and share His light with others. Here are some potential variations on Christmas light and candle crafts, to be created and enjoyed anytime, but especially during the holidays.
Verses or Captions to Consider…
There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.-John 1:6-8
I will turn the darkness before them into light,
the rough places into level ground.
These are the things I do,
and I do not forsake them. –Isaiah 42:16
for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), 10 and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Ephesians 5:8-10
Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” -John 8:12
Jesus is the light of the world!
I light the world by….
Light the way!
More Teaching Ideas:
- Watch the video demonstration of this object lesson message on our YouTube page
- See the related craft idea demonstration
- See our full Sunday School Lesson on John 1:6-8, 19-28
- Compare Light of the World from Sermons4Kids
Craft one: Variations on Candles and Candle Holders
You will need:
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Foam or plastic cups
- Large Mason Jars
- Glue or tape
- String or pipe cleaners
- Crayons or markers
- Paper bags
Procedure (choose from several possible options):
- Make a simple paper candle: cut a strip of paper or cardstock and fold it “accordion-style.” Attach a yellow or orange “flame” to the top.
- Make a candle holder for a real or fake candle. Decorate foam or paper cups with stickers, tissue paper, and/or sharpies.
- Make a special “shining” bag for tea lights by decorating a paper bag and cutting shapes out of one or both sides.
- Make a “tube candle” by inserting tissue paper “flames” within a paper towel or toilet paper tube. Decorate with markers or stickers.
Craft Two: Christmas Light Variations
You will need:
- Paper or cardstock
- Markers or crayons
- Ribbon or Pipe Cleaner
- Tape or staples
Procedure (use one of these ideas or adapt and do others):
- Cut the paper into the shape of a light bulb. Decorate and add verses and captions, or descriptions of how we can “light the world” as Christians. Attach a string or pipe cleaner to hang the decorative reminder.
- Make a string of lights: fold paper strips into “light bulb” shape. Write verses on the paper, or split a verse or phrase into pieces and write a few words on each strip of paper. Tape or staple the paper strips at the top to secure, and string a ribbon or pipe cleaner along to facilitate hanging.
- For extra fun, hang your paper “lights” near a spot with actual light shining, and watch your lights shine in the darkness!
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.