As the Advent season progresses, we look to the example of John the Baptist, who prepared the hearts and minds of people and proclaimed the coming of the Messiah. John called people to repent and turn from their sins. He pointed to and announced Christ. In the same way, we should tell others about Jesus, how He came and will come again. We prepare for His return by making our hearts ready and by proclaiming the good news, now and always. Have fun with these crafts in honor of those ideas: a “turn it around mobile” reminds us to turn our hearts and lives to Jesus. An “announcement horn” allows students to “trumpet” the Gospel loud and proud!
More Teaching Ideas:
- Watch the video demonstration of this children’s sermon and related Bible craft ideas
- Compare another Luke 3:1-6 children’s sermon from rFour.org
- Don’t miss our 73-page Christmas Coloring Page bundle
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (Luke 3:1-6)
And he went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 4 As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet, “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. -Luke 3:3-4
Turn around….and repent!
Prepare your heart for Jesus!
Journey through Advent…await His coming!
Jesus is coming! Announce His arrival!
Craft one: “Proclamation Trumpet”
You will need:
- Foam or paper cup (optional)
- Markers and/or crayons
- Construction paper or cardstock, or crown shape
- Glue or tape
- Aluminum foil
- Paper towel tube
- Wrap the paper towel tube in foil or paper. If desired, attach a cup at the end of the tube to give more of a trumpet/bugle appearance.
- Add verses and captions. Consider taping them in “pop-out” fashion to the tube, or attached on the end like a flag.
- Add stickers, jewels, or additional decorative elements such as a handle.
- Hang the “trumpet” or use it to make a joyful noise and proclaim the good news of Christ’s coming to Earth!
Craft Two: “Turn and Repent Plate”
You will need:
- Construction paper or card stock
- Decorations (stickers, etc.)
- Paper plates
- Hole punch
- Pipe cleaner or string
- Tape or glue
1. Decorate one side of the paper plate with reminders to repent and trust Jesus. Include cross shapes and a note inviting readers to “turn (the plate) around.”
2. On the other side of the plate, add a heart and reminders to change hearts and prepare for Jesus. Mention methods of changing heart attitude.
3. Add verses, stickers, or additional decorations as desired.
4. Attach a pipe cleaner or string to hang the plate, leaving room to turn it around back and forth as an illustration of repentance and following Christ.