Prayer is a powerful and important thing to teach to young children, but can be a little tricky to impart or explain. These crafts are meant to provide children with simple but fun visual reminders of why and how we pray. A prayer chain allows kids to consider things to pray for. The “prayer telephone” is a creative craft that reminds students we talk to God and listen for His voice, too. Jesus prays for us and helps us to pray!
Verses or Captions to Consider… (Main Text: John 17:6-19)
All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. -John 17:10-11
16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. -John 17:16-17
Praying is talking…and listening!
God hears my prayers and cares!
Jesus comforts us with His presence!
Prayer changes things.
Jesus prays for us.
More Teaching Ideas:
- Watch the video demonstration of this children’s message and related Bible craft ideas
- Compare our full Sunday School Lesson on John 17
- Compare another Children’s Sermon on Jesus’ Prayer for his Disciples
Craft one: “Prayer Chain”
You will need:
- Construction paper or card stock
- Crayons, markers, or pens
- Stapler or tape
- Cut several pieces of colored paper into strips.
- On each strip, write a name or a topic of prayer need. Items of praise and thanksgiving are great, too!
- Add extra decorations if desired.
- Loop the strips together and staple to create a chain.
- Hang the chain in a prominent spot to remember to pray!
Craft Two: “Prayer Telephone”
You will need:
- Construction Paper or card stock
- Stickers or decorative supplies
- Glue and/or tape
- Cotton or cloth (optional)
- Styrofoam or plastic cups
- Paper towel tube
1. If desired, wrap cotton or cloth around part of the tube to form a handle or sorts.
2. Decorate the rest of the tube with verse captions, stickers, and other decorations.
3. Cut the end off of each cup. Attach the cups to both sides of the tube.
4. Add extra decorations to the cups, as well as additional captions as desired.
5. Use the tube to speak prayers, and use the cups to “listen” as well!
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.