Use these craft activities in your Sunday School class or children’s ministry when teaching about the Church as the “Body of Christ.”
The body of Christ is a concept that is addressed multiple times in the New Testament, and is both important and fun to illustrate. Children can identify with body parts (as we all have them!), and with the idea of teamwork. Describing the church as a body of believers reminds kids that we all have a job to do and a part to play. These crafts are designed as fun reminders of bodies in general, and the body of Christ and our gifts that contribute to it.
Bible Verses of Craft Captions to Consider:
For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. -Romans 8:4-5
Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. -Romans 12:12
One in the body of Christ!
Use your gifts…
Jesus is the head, WE are the body!
More Teaching Ideas on the Body of Christ
- See craft demonstration video on our YouTube playlist on the Body of Christ
- See all Ministry-To-Children resources tagged about the Church as the Body of Christ
- Compare our full Sunday School lesson on the Body of Christ
Craft one: “Moving Body Buddy”
You will need:
- Construction paper
- Tape or glue (optional)
- Markers, stickers, or other decorating materials
- Brad Fasteners
- Draw outlines of body parts on construction paper.
- Write out positive spiritual gifts, attributes, or verses on each body part. Decorate as desired, adding eyes and mouth to the face if wished.
- Cut out each body part.
- Assemble the parts together, securing with brad fasteners to make the body parts move-able.
Craft Two: “Mr. Potato (or apple or cucumber) Head”
You will need:
- Yarn, pipe cleaner, or string
- Potato, apple, orange, or other fruit/vegetable
- Google eyes or other decorations
- Glue and/or tape
- Extra decorations (stickers, etc.)
- Caption or verse
- Markers (sharpies recommended)
1. Decide how you would like to decorate and adorn your “Mr. Potato Head” look-alike.
2. Draw facial features or outlines as desired.
3. Glue on eyes, ears (if needed), etc.
4. Add sticks or pipe cleaners for extra enthusiasm!
5. Be creative with your decorations. Use sticks if you prefer to add or remove items. Have fun!
Extra Ideas: Group Activities for Sunday School
- Work on a jigsaw puzzle to discuss parts working together.
- Create a “goofy creature” illustration:
- Fold a large piece of construction paper into several sections (suggested four)
- Have one student draw a head on the first section of the paper.
- Fold the paper to hide the head, and have the next student draw a neck and torso.
- Have the next students add legs, and then feet.
- Open the illustration and observe the goofy creature drawn as a team!