The lesson accompanying these crafts focuses on the blessed assurance we take in knowing that God is faithful to His promises. The stories covered feature God’s covenants with Noah, Abraham, and David, and how all covenants were fulfilled in Christ, the New Covenant. These crafts explore elements of those covenant passages. A decorative “Ark of the Covenant” reflects back on the ancient days of the people of Israel. A rainbow comforts us with the thought that God promised to never again destroy the Earth. And a wall hanging “visual lineage” reminds us that all of the former kings and covenants were ultimately held in Jesus.
Verses or Captions to Consider…
Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, 9 “Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your offspring after you, 10 and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the livestock, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark; it is for every beast of the earth. 11 I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.” -Genesis 9:8-11
And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you. 8 And I will give to you and to your offspring after you the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession, and I will be their God.” -Genesis 17:7-8
And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever.’” 17 In accordance with all these words, and in accordance with all this vision, Nathan spoke to David. -2 Samuel 7:16-17
But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises.
God Keeps His Promises!
Always Faithful…we Trust God’s Covenants
Craft one: “Ark of the Covenant”
You will need:
- Construction paper or card stock
- Markers, stickers, or other decorating materials
- Small container or box
- Glue and/or tape
- Popsicle sticks
- Extra decorations as desired
- Wrap a small empty box (tic-tac box, tissues, gum, etc.) with paper.
- Add verses or captions and decorations to the paper.
- Cut out “angel” figures to adorn the sides of the “ark.”
- If desired, place a small piece of paper inside to represent the Ten Commandments.
- Use tape or glue to attach popsicle stick “carrying poles” to the sides of the “Ark.”
Craft Two: “Lineage of Jesus Wall Hanger”
You will need:
- Yarn or string
- Paper (construction)
- Markers or crayons
- Glue and/or tape
- Hole Punch
1. Decorate several pieces of paper to represent Old Testament Covenants. Options for shapes include a rainbow, star, and crown. Decorate another paper as a cross.
2. Add descriptions and Scripture references to each shape.
3. Cut out the shapes and punch holes in them for the string.
4. Slide string or ribbon through each shape, taping it to secure. Display in a prominent setting to recall the fulfillment of God’s Covenant promises.
Craft Three: “Noah’s Rainbow Decoration”
You will need:
- Paper plate of any size
- Paper (construction) (optional)
- Cotton Balls
- Glue or tape
- Decorative supplies (stickers, glitter, ink, etc.)
- Crayons or markers
- String or ribbon (if desired to hang)
1. Decorate paper plate with rainbow colors: this can be done using pieces of paper, markers/crayons, or finger paints.
2. Add verses, captions, or additional decorations to the rainbow.
3. Cut an arch shape out of the plate to make it appear more like a rainbow.
4. Glue on cotton ball “clouds” at the ends of the rainbow.
5. Attach a string, pipe cleaner, or ribbon to hang for display.
More Teaching Activities on God’s Covenant with Abraham
- Watch the children’s sermon lesson and Bible craft activities for this Bible story
- Download our full God Keeps His Promises Sunday School Lesson
- See more activities and Bible lessons on God’s Promise from Sunday School Works!
- Compare another Children’s Sermon about Abraham’s Impossible Faith
- Compare another Sunday School Lesson on God’s Promise to Abraham
- Compare another Story of Abraham for kids Bible lesson
- Compare another children’s church lesson on God’s promise to Abraham
- Compare Covenant Promises craft activities for children’s ministry
- Download Sunday School coloring pages about God’s Promise to Abraham and coloring sheets about God Calling Abraham.
- Download a printable Abraham Bible story reader for kids
- Review these what the Bible says about faith as you prepare your lesson