The first miracle Jesus did on Earth proved that He was God’s son…it also kept a party going! Transforming water into wine might not seem entirely life-changing, but it reminds us that anything is possible with Christ, and that God cares about even the little details of our lives. These crafts celebrate the beauty of change and the joy of life with Jesus. A simple “miraculous” water resist painting displays how things can “show up” in unexpected ways. A “water wheel” recounts the story with an interactive decoration.
Craft one: “Watercolor Resist”
You will need:
- Markers and crayons
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Stickers and decorations (optional)
- Food coloring or water color
- Paint brush
- Use crayon to press into paper, creating pictures, verses, and captions.
- Add extra decorations as desired.
- Use water color or water tinted with food coloring. Spread the paint/water all over the paper, covering the crayons to watch the images appear.
- If desired, hang the pictures with pipe cleaner or magnets.
Craft Two: “Water to Wine Wheel”
You will need:
- Construction paper or card stock
- Decorations (stickers, etc.)
- Paper plate
- Pipe Cleaner
- Brad fasteners
1. Cut a large slit out of the paper plate.
2. Decorate the plate with verses, captions, and pictures describing the first miracle at the Cana wedding. Add extra decorations as desired.
3. Cut a circle out of a piece of paper. Color half of the circle purple or red, or attach two pieces of paper in half circles together.
4. Use a brad fastener to attach the paper behind the plate.
5. Spin the paper to watch the “water” transform into “wine” according to the image. Attach a pipe cleaner or magnet to hang the plate decoration.
Bonus Crafts (Extra Suggestions)
In addition to the above described, consider other fun water-related crafts such as:
- Decorative cup (for drinking or holding items)
- Decorative water bottle
- Folded paper origami cup (see photo)
This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him. -John 2:11
His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” -John 2:5
Jesus still does miracles!
Jesus turned water…into wine!
Wedding at Cana…the first miracle!