Here is a simple Bible lesson for preschoolers. It’s based on the story in John’s Gospel where Jesus directs the disciples to cast their nets and provides a miraculous catch of fish. This story shows Jesus’ power over nature and his desire to help us.
This lesson works well for a preschool Sunday School class. You could also use it at home with your own younger children. Feel free to modify it to meet your ministry situation.
Bible Story: The Miraculous Catch of Fish
Scripture: John 21:1-13
Target Age Group: Ages 2 – 4
Learning Context: Any small group setting like Sunday School or Church Toddler class.
Target Time Frame: 30 minutes
More Sunday School Lessons from John 21
- Jesus Reinstates Peter John 21:1-19 Bible Lesson
- Children’s Sermon John 21:1-19
- “Breakfast on the Beach” Lesson
- Peter’s New Beginning John 21:15-19
Goal: This lesson seeks to show kids that Jesus will help us.
Before Class: Use colored painter’s tape to make a boat shape on the floor for the kids to sit in. (This is optional, but allows the kids to feel like they are apart of the story)
Lesson Time: Have your kids sit in the boat that you outlined on the floor.
- Read (or tell in your own words or use Bible story books, such as 100 Bible Stories 100 Bible Songs or Row the Boat: Jesus Fills the Nets) John 21:1-13.
- Ask kids questions about the story for review
- How long were the men fishing?
- Did they catch any fish at first?
- Who stood on the shore?
- Did the disciples (Jesus’ helpers) know that it was Jesus?
- Which side did Jesus tell the men to throw over the net?
- Explain to the kids that Jesus wanted to help the men to catch the fish because He loved them. Tell them that Jesus loves each of them too, and that because He does, He can help us! You may also need to help the kids understand that Jesus will not appear as He did to the disciples, but that we can pray to Him for help.
- Ask the kids times when they might need Jesus to help them. Give examples: when we are sick, when we are afraid, etc.
- Fishing Page: Have children color the provided picture. Help the kids glue the small pieces of netting onto the right side of the boat. They can color in waves at the bottom of the boat/net. Allow them to glue gold fish onto the net. They can also have some for a snack! The can draw in the disciples on the boat if they want to.
Optional Snack: Serve fish shaped crackers to the children. While they eat talk about how strong and special Jesus was to help his friends catch so many fish.
Optional Song: You could sing the “My God is So BIG” song and remind the children that Jesus can do special things because he is God.
- Provided paper – boat-drawing (PDF)
- Small pieces of netting/mesh material/tulle (any of these will work)
- Gold fish (or paper fish for a less expensive option)
- Goldfish crackers for snack
Need More Ideas? Ask a question in our kids ministry forums or browse our growing collection of Sunday School Coloring Pages.
4 thoughts on “The Miraculous Catch (John 21:1-19) Preschool Lesson & Craft”
Thank you for sharing your ideas. Although we have a lesson plan provided by our preschool department at my church, I am always looking for additional ideas and I am very appreciative of yours. I have printed out copies of the boat for my class. The one change or addition I am making to the instructions: cutting a slit approximately one and a half to two inches long at the top edge of the boat (about an inch from the sail) allowing the children to be able to push a small amount of the tull through the opening and then taping it to the back of the picture: This makes it much neater and easier for everyone.
What a great lesson. I am a Kindergarten teacher and a Sunday School Teacher and this lesson is very well developed. Thank you for sharing your ideas!
Thanks for the Lessons. I am a Sunday School Teacher in Zimbabwe and I am finding your resources very useful to our ministry. God bless you.
Thank you for your children’s lesson plans. I just got laid off from the childcare center I work at so my littles are not in school. We cannot go to church services. And I really needed help finding something with lessons about Jesusand crafts for them. I really needed for lessons at no cost.
Thank you for making this available
God bless you.