Use these Sunday School crafts on the theme “Love and Serve Others” inspired by Peter raising Tabitha / Dorcas to life in Acts 9:36-43. These craft ideas are a perfect addition to your Sunday School or Kids Church Bible lesson.
In this story, Tabitha is celebrated as a charitable disciple who sewed garments for others. Her death brought about sadness, but through the power of the Holy Spirit, Peter raised her up, and many came to believe in Jesus as a result. These crafts focus on elements of sewing and fabric, to honor her work, and also involve service to God. A “Heart for Service Coupon Collection” can be given as a gift to a loved one, with ideas for serving. A “tapestry plate” pieces fabric together on the outside, with a decorative reminder to glorify God on the inside.
Bible Verses or Sunday School Craft Captions to Consider… (Acts 9:36-43)
And it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed in the Lord. -Acts 9:42
A heart for service…
Here’s how I can serve…
“We may come from different ‘cloth’…but God uses us all!”
Glorify God and Serve one another!
More Bible Lessons and Activities on Dorcas / Tabitha
- Watch the video of this children’s sermon lesson and related Bible craft activity ideas
- Compare our full Acts 9:36-43 Sunday School Lesson on Tabitha and Peter
- Compare an alternate Kids Bible Lesson on Peter Raising Dorcas
- Read about the meaning of Tabitha Dorcas in the Bible
Dorcas Craft Activity One: “Tapestry Plate”
You will need:
- Markers or crayons
- Glue (Fabric glue recommended)
- Paper Plates.
- Yarn or string
- Fabric (cloth, felt, or foam)
- Write verses and captions on the domed side of two paper plates. Write additional captions on the inside of the plate.
- Add extra decorations (stickers, glitter, etc.) as desired.
- Use fabric glue to attach scraps of cloth, felt, or fabric to the outsides of the plates, arranged in any sort of order.
- Staple the plates partially together, leaving room to open the plates like a clamshell.
- If desired, add a string or pipe cleaner to the top, in order to hang or display the craft.
Tabitha Craft Activity Two: “Heart for Service Coupon Collection”
You will need:
- Construction Paper or cardstock
- Glue, tape, or staples
- Stickers and decorative supplies
- Markers, crayons, colored pencils
- Twine, yarn, or string
- Hole punch
1. Cut out two large hearts from paper/cardstock.
2. Add verses and captions to the hearts, noting that this is a gift of “coupons.”
3. On small squares of paper, write out acts of service that can be used as “coupons”, such as helping with a chore or spending time with someone.
4. Use a hole punch to create holes in the heart papers. Use yarn or string to “sew” the two hearts together to create an envelope.
5. Place the coupons inside the heart, and give to a beloved recipient!