This devotional guide is one part of our larger series based on the book of Philippians. Click here to browse all the guides in this series. You can also leave a comment below to share your ideas with other readers.
[print_link] a copy of this for each child or adult participating in the study. We recommend they also have a personal notebook for the study.
Day One: Read Philippians 2:1-4
- How has Jesus comforted you? Who can you comfort?
- What does Jesus say the first and second greatest commandments are? (Read Matthew 22:36-40)
- How should we love others? (John 13:34)
- How will others know that we are Christ’s disciples? (John 13:35)
Day Two: Read Philippians 2:1-4
- Using your own words what does like-minded mean? Give an example of how two people could have different opinions but can be like-minded.
- What is selfish ambition? How often are you focused on doing what you want and not concerned about the needs of others?
- What can you do today that focuses on others and not yourself?
Day Three: Read Philippians 2:1-4
- What sin causes us to look down on others or criticize them?
- If you struggle with criticizing others from verse 3 how should think about others?
- We must esteem others in lowliness of mind better than ourselves, be severe upon our own faults and charitable in our judgments of others, be quick in observing our own defects and infirmities, but ready to overlook and make favorable allowances for the defects of others. We must esteem the good, which is in others above that which is in ourselves; for we best know our own unworthiness and imperfections. (Taken from Matthew Henry’s commentary)
- This week when you find yourself “looking down” on someone stop yourself and think of how you can give them the benefit of the doubt. Write down how God helped you to do this.
Day Four: Read Philippians 2:5-8
- Whose attitude does Paul tell us we should imitate? (Verse 5)
- How did Jesus humble Himself?
- In what way can you serve others today?
Day Five: Read Philippians 2:5-8
- From day four review how Christ humbled Himself?
- What did Christ give up so we could have salvation?
- What are you willing to give up so others can know Jesus and be saved?
Day Six: Read Philippians 2:9-11
- How did God reward Jesus’ humility and obedience?
- How does your life show that you have bowed your knee (surrendered your life) and confessed that Jesus is Lord?
New Sunday School Curriculum: Our Bible lessons are designed to keep the kids’ attention and show how God's Word makes a difference. Every series is flexible enough for a wide-age group and affordable enough for small churches. Download a free Bible lesson in pdf or view our latest Sunday School curriculum for kids.