Third Time’s a Charm…the Second Time. Craft Ideas for Peter’s Reinstatement. Use these simple craft activities in your Sunday School class or children’s ministry when teaching about Jesus restoring Peter in John 21.
It is a blessing that God grants us grace and gives us second chances (and sometimes third and fourth and fifth chances!). In the story of Peter and the post-Resurrection “fish fry breakfast”, we see the repentant disciple affirmed by Jesus, despite his previous denial. From this we can be assured that Christ forgives us and can make us part of His plan, no matter how far we think we’ve strayed. Two crafts recount this story somewhat. A “Feed my Sheep Pasture Picture” uses popsicle stick puppets to remember the commands of Jesus. A lacing “Fish Catch Plate” recounts the miraculous catch of fish and breakfast with Christ. Adapt these ideas or others as you share the story!
More Children’s Ministry Lessons and Activities from John 21:
- Watch the video demonstration of this children’s sermon lesson and Sunday school crafts
- Compare our Miraculous Catch Bible Lesson for kids and John 21:1-19 Sunday School Lesson
- Compare another Jesus Reinstates Peter Children’s Semon from John 21
- Read more of this Peter, do you love me verse and feed my sheep Bible passage
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (John 21:1-14)
- He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. -John 21:17
- He is risen!!! Alleluia!
- Jesus fed His disciples! He feeds my soul, too!
- Miraculous fish catch!
- Peter promised to love and serve Jesus…I will, too!
- Feed my sheep…tend my sheep…feed my lambs
Craft one: “Feed my Sheep Pasture Picture”
You will need:
- Construction paper (any color)
- Markers or decorating materials
- Glue or tape
- Markers, crayons, etc.
- Cotton balls
- Popsicle sticks
- Write verses and captions on cardstock or construction paper. Cut slits in the paper for “puppets” to slide.
- Add extra decorations (stickers, glitter, etc.) as desired.
- Cut ovals and circle “heads” out of paper. Draw faces or add google eyes for sheep.
- Glue cotton balls onto the sheep to create “wool.”
- Attach sheep to popsicle sticks. Place within the slits cut out of the paper. Use as a reminder of the commands of Jesus to Peter to “care for the lambs.”
Craft Two: “Lacing Fish Catch Plate”
You will need:
- Construction Paper or cardstock
- Glue, tape, or staples
- Paper plate(s)
- Markers, crayons, or decorative supplies
- Twine, yarn, or string
1. Add verses or captions to plate and/or paper, reminding of the miraculous catch of fish and instructions of Christ.
2. Cut out fish shapes from colorful paper. Add captions and/or faces to these.
3. Cut notches in the paper plate. Glue or tape fish to the plate.
4. Use yarn, string, or twine to cover the plate and pass through the notches as a fishing “net.” Add string or pipe cleaner to hang the plate as a decoration, if desired.