Love visual lessons but can’t find the right one? You don’t have to rely on others to present you with object lessons–you can do it yourself. That’s true even if you don’t have a teaching degree or any experience writing curriculum. I learned how to create an object lesson a children’s ministry conference well over a decade ago. We were given a basket of kitchen gadgets, asked to choose one and then we had five minutes to think of how we could use the item as an object lesson. It was so much fun! Like some, it took me a while to get the hang of it but once you do–everything becomes a teaching tool. Why does this work for kids’ church?
Remember that kids are visual learners. They will remember 10 percent of what you say but 80 percent of what they see! Don’t just tell–show! Here’s how to train yourself to create object lessons:
- Walk around your house and pick three random items. It can be anything–toothpaste, a pencil, some change.
- Now think about how that item could relate be related to a person’s spiritual life. For example, with the toothpaste, once the toothpaste is squirted out, you can’t put it back in. God says in Psalm 89:3-4 that He will not take back one of His words!
- Pick up another object and try again. You don’t have to have a specific verse in mind, sometimes a bible concept is enough. Keep trying–it gets easier.
Some Tips for Creating Object Lessons
- If you get stuck, ask yourself a few questions like, “What is my message here?”
- Also, don’t make the object the focus of the teaching, always put the focus on God’s Word. Remember your goal is to demonstrate how the bible is relevant and effective in the life of young believers.
- Don’t over think it. If you have to think too much about an object lesson, put it aside and save it for later. If you have to stretch for the lesson to make sense, try something else.
You can do it! I can’t wait to read about your object lesson ideas.
Read more from Mimi by visiting her blog at Tools for Kids Church. Here are a few of our recent object lessons to get you inspired:
- Magnet Object Lesson for Kids Church
- Beach Bible Object Lessons for Kids Church
- Toothbrush Bible Object Lesson for Kids
- Rose Object Lesson for Kids Church
- Crayon Object Lessons
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.