Here is another free lesson plan for children’s church (or Sunday school). It’s based on the Bible story from Matthew 8:1-7 where Jesus heals the sick.
Children’s Church Bible Lesson: Jesus Heals The Sick from Matthew 8:1-17
You can also download my other Bible Story Lesson Plans for Children Church
Children’s Church Lesson: Jesus Is Greater Than Sickness
Text: Matthew 8:1-17
Learning Objectives: After this lesson, children will demonstrate knowledge of the healing ministry of Jesus … by recalling the three miracles of healing in this story from memory.
Target Age: Kindergarten – 5th
- Marked Bible for this passage. Prepare the copy in advance by highlighting the significant points to emphasize. Underlining words or ideas that will need additional explanation. I typically make small notes in the margin.
- Optional: Centurion coloring pages or Jesus coloring pages
Explanation: There are several major themes in this passage. The summary verse is Matthew 8:17 which explains that all this proves Jesus is the Promised Messiah. You should note how Jesus welcomed the faith of the Roman centurion. Remind the children that the Romans soldiers will be the ones who nail Jesus to the cross. Jesus proves his authority over sickness and disease. This carries on the theme of authority from Matthew 7:29, the immediate context preceding this story. Jesus gives a brief description of the Kingdom of heaven in verses 10-12. This is more than just going to heaven. This is the new creation where Jesus is King, and all things are made right.
One Page Teaching Plan
Tell a story about a time when you were sick. Tell the children that even the strongest adults can become very weak when they get sick. Disease and sickness are very strong. But in our story today we will see that Jesus is much greater than sickness.
Active Listening: Ask the children to listen carefully for the three people Jesus heals in this passage. Tell them you will ask them to tell the story back when you are done.
Read (and summarize) Matthew 8:1-17. (Read with emotion and pause often to engage the children with the reading.)
Ask for reports: What three miracles did Jesus do in this passage?
- Jesus healed a leaper by touching him.
- Jesus healed a centurion’s servant from the other side of town, just by saying he was healed.
- Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law by touching her hand.
Yes or No: Ask the children to stand up if these were things Jesus did in this story. If they are not in the story the children should stay seated with arms crossed.
- Did he fight against the temptations of the Devil?
- Did Jesus heal Peter’s mother-in-law?
- Did Jesus heal a soldier’s servant from the other side of the city?
- Did Jesus turn water into wine?
- Did Jesus heal a leaper in this story?
- Did Jesus clear the moneychangers out of the Temple?
How can it help us to know that Jesus is greater than sickness?
- We can trust him more when we pray.
- We can look forward to the Kingdom of heaven.
- We don’t have to be afraid, because Jesus is in charge.
How can you show your faith that Jesus is greater than sickness?
2 thoughts on “Free Lesson Plan: Jesus Is Greater Than Sickness (Matthew 8:1-17)”
Have a son with special needs, he is 35 years old and has some serious medical problems at the moment. This is going to be a great way to help him understand the God is healing him and we need to trust in him.
Thank you for your passion in serving the Lord.
I hope al turned out well with your son.
God bless you