As we celebrate the original Advent of Christ as well as the future of the Second Coming, these crafts remind kids of the importance of hoping in God every day. Inspired by words taken from Mark 13, these crafts feature verses and messages from the proclamation of Jesus. A rooster puppet reminds us to “stay awake”; a star bookmark gives hope that God’s Word remains though Heaven and Earth pass away; and a calendar allows kids to recall the blessings God gives every day.
Crafts: Jesus is Coming!” Sunday School Craft Ideas on Mark 13:24-37 about the Second Coming of Jesus
The crafts for this lesson are based on messages in the Gospel of Mark, where Jesus foretold descriptions of the end of the age. Our focus is on the hope found within those words. We know that God’s word remains, even if everything else seems to crumble around us. We also recognize that Jesus will come again, and we can await that future day with longing and joyful hope. In these crafts, a wide-eyed rooster puppet (or decoration) reflects on the verse admonition to “stay awake”. A calendar provides reminders to focus on positive blessings. And a special bookmark serves to recall the importance that God’s Word will remain, whatever else (even stars) may fall.
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider…
- Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. -Mark 13:31
- “But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33 Be on guard, keep awake. For you do not know when the time will come. -Mark 13:32-33
- Stay Awake! Jesus is Coming!
- Heaven and Earth Pass Away…God’s Word Remains!
- All Things Change…God Stays the Same.
- The Word of the Lord Endures Forever.
- Look for God’s Blessings…One Day at a Time!
Bible Passage: Mark 13:24-37
- You can watch a teaching demonstration of this children’s sermon on our YouTube
- Don’t miss the Bible craft ideas for this same passage
- We post new sermons for kids every week with video demonstrations to help you prepare or to send to your church families
Craft one: “Stay Awake Rooster”
You will need:
- Construction paper or card stock
- Markers, stickers, or other decorating materials
- Glue and/or Tape
- Paper bag, cup, or plate
- Google eyes (optional)
- Decorate your bag, plate, or cup with crayon, marker, and verse captions.
- Add paper/decorative or drawn elements: eyes, beak, etc. Make sure eyes are quite large.
- Attach feathers (paper or craft feathers). Use as a puppet, magnet, or decoration and remember to “stay awake” in preparation for Jesus!
Craft Two: “Blessings Calendar ”
You will need:
- Decorations (stickers, pipe cleaners, etc.)
- Paper (construction)
- Printed or drawn calendars
- Markers or crayons
- Glue and/or tape
- Hole punch (optional)
1. Decorate your calendar (pre-printed or drawn) with stickers, colors, and captions.
2. As days go by, add a blessing or item of thanks for each calendar square.
3. Glue calendar onto construction paper.
4. Decorate with extra colors or verse captions. Add a pipe cleaner or ribbon to hang, if desired.
Craft Three: “Enduring Word Star Bookmark”
You will need:
- Hole punch
- Paper (construction) (optional)
- Glue or tape
- Decorative supplies (stickers, glitter, etc.)
- Crayons or markers
- String or ribbon (if desired to hang)
1. Trace a star shape onto paper or cardstock.
2. Cut out so that the tracing lines are hidden.
3. Decorate the star with extra stickers, captions and verses.
4. Add a pipe cleaner or ribbon if desired. Optional: laminate for sturdiness.
5. Use as a decoration or a Bible bookmark!
New Sunday School Curriculum: Church budgets are tight, that's why our curriculum is half the price of printed materials. Download a free sample or visit the Sunday School Store to purchase more.