The following object lesson demonstrates the concept of an aroma and is linked to the truth of 2 Corinthians 2:15 that we are the aroma of Christ. This object lesson could be expanded into a full lesson or be attached to another lesson as an introduction to capture the children’s attention.
The children will experience a tangible demonstration of the concept of aroma.
- One bag of microwave popcorn (The “mini” kind work best for demonstrating how one small bag is similar to one small child)
- One microwave
- Before the children enter the room, pop a bag of popcorn in the microwave and open the bag so the smell of buttered popcorn fills the room.
- When the children walk in they will immediately notice the smell. It is nearly a guarantee that some will ask you if they can have some or if they are going to get to eat the popcorn.
- When the children are settled at their seats, ask them, “Do you notice a certain smell in the room this morning?”
- “Yes, it is the smell of popcorn! Everyone likes the smell of popcorn!”
- “Where is the smell coming from? Isn’t it amazing that I could pop this one mini-bag of popcorn and the smell of it filled this entire room?”
- “Another word for smell is aroma. The aroma of popcorn has filled this room. Did you know God likes for us to be an aroma?”
- “God wants us to be the aroma of Christ! God loves when his children are the aroma of Christ! ”
- “He wants you to live like Jesus, so that others around you notice Christ in you. When we seek to live like Christ, we are a wonderful aroma for God. He loves to sense the aroma of his children living like Christ.”
- “You may think how can I be an aroma of Christ? I am just a small child, just one person, but didn’t you notice how this one mini-bag of popcorn filled this entire room with a wonderful aroma! One person can make a big difference!”
- “When you walked in the room and noticed the smell of popcorn, a few of you asked if you could have some. As you live out the aroma of Christ, people around you will notice and they may want to have some. They will see your joy and your Christ-like heart and they will want some of what you have. They will want Christ!”
- Read aloud 2 Corinthians 2:15, “For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.”
New Sunday School Curriculum: Our Bible lessons are designed to keep the kids’ attention and show how God's Word makes a difference. Every series is flexible enough for a wide-age group and affordable enough for small churches. Download a free Bible lesson in pdf or view our latest Sunday School curriculum for kids.
3 thoughts on “Popcorn Object Lesson (2 Corinthians 2:15) The Aroma of Christ”
I have an active group of 4th graders – they are always hungry! I am anxious to do this object lesson next week, and get their reaction. I will let you know how it goes!! PS. I am a grandmother to one of the students, that’s why I am still “at it”….. getting teachers is getting to be a real issue. But I love the children in my church family, so here I am. Glad for any good useful tips like this one.
Awesome lesson. Thank you! I am sharing daily COVID lessons in our children’s ministry Facebook group. This one is great!
Thank you so much. These are wonderful lessons for my sabbath school class. The materials are easy find and use, Which I daresay is essential for us here in Zimbabwe.