The lesson accompanying these crafts is based on the story of judgment and the separation of the sheep and the goats, referenced in Matthew 25. While it might seem a bit works-based or worrisome, the emphasis of the message is that we want to serve and love others as a response to the love Christ shows us. When we do that, we honor God and ultimately serve Him. Two of these crafts serve as prompts to help and serve other people, as the treat bag is meant to give away and the plate is intended as a decorative reminder to care for others. The puppet is a nod to the story itself, recognizing that we should aim to be “sheep” and not “goats.”
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (Main Text: Matthew 25:31-46)
And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
Don’t be a baaaaad goat! Be a sheep! Follow Jesus!
Serve others….serve Jesus! Today I am serving…
I hope I get to see “s’more” of you!
More Teaching Ideas for this Scripture Passage
- You can watch a teaching demonstration of this children’s sermon on our YouTube
- Don’t miss the Bible craft ideas for this same passage
- We post new sermons for kids every week with video demonstrations to help you prepare or to send to your church families
- See our full Sunday School Lesson on Matthew 25:31-46
- Compare “Sheep and Goats” from Sermons4Kids
- Compare Matthew 25:31-46 Children’s Sermon from rfour.org
Craft one: “S’More Service Project”
You will need:
- Construction paper or card stock
- Markers, stickers, or other decorating materials
- String, yarn, or pipe cleaner
- Graham Crackers
- Ziplock or cellophane bag
- Chocolate (bar or kisses)
- Marshmallows (any size)
- Place items for “s’mores” into a special bag: graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows.
- Alternatively, place another treat or fun item into a decorative bag or Ziploc.
- Add a string or ribbon , along with a fun card or caption for the recipient.
Craft Two: “Sheep or Goat Puppet ”
You will need:
- Google eyes
- Paper (construction)
- Paper bags
- Markers or crayons
- Glue and/or tape
- Cotton balls
1. Decorate one side of the paper bag to be a “goat”, adding eyes and horns, as well as color and hooves, if desired.
2. To the other side, add cotton balls and eyes for a “sheep.”
3. Add captions to both sides of the puppet.
4. Decorate with extra colors or verse captions. Enjoy your puppet show!
Craft Three: “Serving Plate”
You will need:
- Paper plate of any size
- Paper (construction) (optional)
- Cupcake liners (optional)
- Glue or tape
- Decorative supplies (stickers, glitter, etc.)
- Crayons or markers
- String or ribbon (if desired to hang)
1. Decorate paper plate with pictures and captions.
2. Add a piece of paper, envelope, or cupcake liner to the center of plate.
3. Place names of people that you wish to serve or pray for inside the cupcake liner. You can also place names of those who have recently been served.
4. Add plastic forks, paper cut-out “food”, or a decorative hanger, if desired. Remember to love and serve others!